Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

"Bait car" vids......HEEHEE!!!

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Can Can, Dec 29, 2005.

1. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

The car theft task force in Vancouver, Canada have a new website called www.baitcar.com that offers vids of people caught in bait cars. For those of you unfamiliar with the concept, the boys in blue leave a vehicle unattended in a higher crime area with either the vehicle running or the keys in the ignition. When the bad guys jump in and drive off, task force chase cars disable the car by remote control. And to help get the scumbags convicted, each car is equipped with a camera and a mike to catch the idiots in action.

There are quite a few good vids available to watch, but the traffic on the site is high so sometimes performance is kind of slow.

Have fun watching crackheads and tweekers getting busted!!!! :woot:

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Most are left unlocked at most...leaving keys in the iggy is entrapment of a sort.

Funny video's, embarrassing that it's local :doah:

Rene

3. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

Hmmmmmmm.........

The bait car program in Calgary often uses vehicles left running in bar parking lots and such. Are you sure about the entrapment issue?:confused:

4. kgblazerfive

kgblazerfive keymaster Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Entrapment only counts when you get someone to do something they wouldn't normaly do. If you steal a car it doesn't matter where the keys are its still stealing.

5. tRustyK5

To the best of my knowledge they don't leave keys in them...

This mostly eliminates the joyriders and targets the serial car thiefs that jack 4 or 5 cars a day. The great majority of those people are drug addicted and carry the tools of the trade with them. Open doors are enough temptation, no fuss getting in the car.

Rene

6. 73k5blazer

73k5blazer Unplug the matrix cable from the back of your head Premium Member

I always find myself getting into running vehicles in the parking lot. You mean, in Canada, I would be convicted of a crime? Callise...tabarnak!

7. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

Your starting to peak arent you??? I told you it was good acid...

8. 73k5blazer

73k5blazer Unplug the matrix cable from the back of your head Premium Member

No, I just got done wresting a friggin NV4500/NP241 back into my '97 K2500, my back aches, my head hurts, just took a shower and cracked a beer.....life is good, now only if I had one of those running vehicles left outside near my house........

9. GotLabs

GotLabs 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Thats great, maybe the US is at fault since we manufactured the vehicles and sent them north!:D I love the booger eater! Canadians.........:haha: arent they French decents?

10. Inu-Hanyou1776

Inu-Hanyou1776 1/2 ton status

Is the bait car program actually putting a dent in the car theft rate, or is it only shifting the problem to other areas?

11. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Funny vids. They should wire the cars directly to a 220v outlet, park them in a puddle and leave the engine running....

12. tRustyK5

It has made a noticable difference, one example being Nanaimo where car theft dropped 17% almost immediately and have stayed at a much lower level since the intro of the Bait Car program.

I'll have to find the link but today's paper has a story on one of the guys they are targeting with the Bait Cars. This guy would steal between 25 and 30 cars a day sometimes. He has stolen over 1000 cars in the last 8 years. He was caught using a Bait car, served 5 months in jail and is now drug free.

Link: http://www.canada.com/theprovince/story.html?id=86850395-cb90-44ae-b59a-a8ecfea77276&k=97474

Rene

13. tRustyK5

14. Inu-Hanyou1776

That's a good article, I hope they did show that video to judges and advise them to start jacking up the jail time for car theft, and did succeed in getting re-categorized as a violent crime.

15. cbbr

Stealing a car with no one in it is not a violent crime. Car Jacking is. Driving like an a$$hole may be, depending on the circumstances.

I don't understand why you think car theft should be "re-categorized as a violent crime".

16. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

I think this gat started in hamilton, i remember it here for a long time, yeah it rates have decreased, they often put them in the movie theater lots, and even have signs up in mall, theater and other lots that sy that the bait car is used

17. koldsimer

koldsimer 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Car theft a voilent crime? Um, No. Changing the sentencing standards and actually leaving car thieves in prison for several years would help. What I would really like to see is the thieves have to make 100% restitution for damages. I know that I have thousands of dollars of parts in my truck as well as tons of hours invested. If someone stole my truck and got busted, I would like to see them pay for everything including the gas they used.... they can work it off while serving time and just send me their paychecks. Fuggin asshats that can't work for their own sh*t.

18. cbbr

That is, generally, part of the law now if the court awards it. Problem is that it is hard to enforce because they don't make the a$$hats pay you while in jail (not much earning potential)and if they don't pay you while on probation/parloe, they simply get put back in jail to make up for the lack of restitution.

Personal experiance - Some kids (16-17 yrs old) broke into my house several years ago. They got caught. The Juvenile court ordered community service, but no restitution.

One set of parents paid me for the 1/2 of the stuff stolen/broke and made Jr. work it off.

The other set told me that it was not their sone fault and they were not making him pay anything. I have a civil judgment against them and a lien on their house. I will get paid one day and the interest keeps building.

19. Inu-Hanyou1776

Parents like that who don't believe in disciplining their kids are the biggest reason why we've got juvenile crime problems in the first place. In cases where the parents are irresponsible in not punishing their kids on their own after the court did its job, the parents deserve jail just as much as their kids who committed the crime did.

20. cbbr

Again, you are taking this a little too far IMO. It is easy to sit back and say that the parents should be jailed because their teenage kids did something stupid. It is also wrong IMO. The parents didn't have anything to do with the stupid behavior.

I'm not saying that they have no responsibility - that is the basis for the civil judgment - but jailling the parents would just add to the problem in most situations.