Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Baja/OffRoad Racing

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by ChevyHuny, Feb 23, 2003.

1. ChevyHuny

ChevyHuny 1/2 ton status

A place where IFS is a necessity. Anyone into it. Or does anyone have a buggie or truck themselves?

2. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

Desert is kick @ss. I cant wait to get my race truck this summer.

3. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

<----------- /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. COCHEV

COCHEV 1/2 ton status

the desert- the only place where 1/2 ton stuff is socially acceptable. LOL! check out this site:

Dezert People

5. COCHEV

COCHEV 1/2 ton status

did you guys see the inside cover of the newest Fourwheeler? has a old school full size jeep P/U solid axle, spring under and the whole bit. got third in class 8 in the Baja 1000.

just get ya some deavers and some good shocks, drop in a nice 400 hp motor and hit the desert!

6. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Nah, missed it. May have to go check it out.

We got an old school racer here in town, he raced Class 3 Jeeps back in the day, got a few from AMC when it was big. He still has one sitting out at his barn. He bought a Class 8 for his boys, but tire sponsor went to crap a few years ago, so they haven't run.

It's been since Parker in 2001 since I've been to a race, but I was able to line up writing for the Valley Off Road Racing Association this year so I'll have some fun this summer. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Did you see that Kreg Donahoe is selling his old school straight axle Toyota race truck on RDC? $4000......

7. COCHEV

COCHEV 1/2 ton status

there is only one pic of the jeep p/u. its on the contents page. easy to spend just as much if not more on a desert rig as you can on a rock crawler or mud runner. i kinda like the apeal of going fast on the dirt and the whole jumping thing. a buggy would probably be the best vehicle of choice. not as cool as a full size cheb in my opinion though /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

[ QUOTE ]
    there is only one pic of the jeep p/u. its on the contents page. easy to spend just as much if not more on a desert rig as you can on a rock crawler or mud runner. i kinda like the apeal of going fast on the dirt and the whole jumping thing. a buggy would probably be the best vehicle of choice. not as cool as a full size cheb in my opinion though

[/ QUOTE ]
    $$$$$$ depends on how fast you want to go. Those Trophy Trucks and Class 8 trucks are down right expensive. That Class 8 in town has $30K in suspension alone. Curt LeDuc built it. It doesn't brake.

An I-beam Ford costs less to do than an A-Arm front suspension. A straight-axle can't go as fast, but doesn't cost as much either.

Buggies are great for the tight, technical stuff. They can outrun the trucks, but in the flats the trucks can outrun them.

9. COCHEV

COCHEV 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    A straight-axle can't go as fast, but doesn't cost as much either.

[/ QUOTE ]

which makes it the best option for us not so rich folk /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. 502 4x4

502 4x4 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Nah, missed it. May have to go check it out.

[/ QUOTE ]
    FourWheeler April 2003
    [​IMG] /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

11. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

MMMMMMMM, old school..................Thanks 502.

The old boy I was talking about has one of those sitting out in his barn next to his Class 3 Jeep. They were gonna build a prerunner out of it, but it's doing the same thing as everything else, collecting dust. Wonder if I could talk him out of it?

12. COCHEV

COCHEV 1/2 ton status

i have to say i love that body style on those old jeep trucks. i like the old waggies too. them ol things had dana axles and buick motors so they are kinda gm, right? LOL! still like em anyhow.

13. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

I love those old Jeeps too. My parents used to have a '76 Cherokee Chief. Loved all the road trips we took in in. My dad would always get it stuck and it always threw u-joints, but they rock.

14. ChevyHuny

ChevyHuny 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    the desert- the only place where 1/2 ton stuff is socially acceptable. LOL! check out this site:
    Dezert People
    [ QUOTE ]
    A straight-axle can't go as fast, but doesn't cost as much either.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    which makes it the best option for us not so rich folk

[/ QUOTE ]

[​IMG]

Forgive me if I am missunderstanding the comments and SFA pictures but I was talking about IFS in baja in particular and if anyone liked them. I wasnt starting this for compitition reasons with IFS, SFA and why you can build both for the same price or why its more affordable to go with SFA etc... I know IFS is like the plauge to you guys but sheeesh. Its just Baga, they do good in baja. Its not a crime just 1 measly little sport.

Like I said forgive me if I have missunderstood but It is frustrating that a discussion about them in particular can't be made about them without the laughing and pictures and links etc......

[ QUOTE ]
    easy to spend just as much if not more on a desert rig as you can on a rock crawler or mud runner

[/ QUOTE ]
    I beg to differ. Those trucks cost as much as a nice house not including the team.

15. COCHEV

COCHEV 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Like I said forgive me if I have missunderstood but It is frustrating that a discussion about them in particular can't be made about them without the laughing and pictures and links etc......

[/ QUOTE ]

the pics and links where to help out. the dezert people forum has tons of IFS cheby stuff. sorry if we strayed a bit off topic but we are not poking fun at you or dezert rigs or 2wds. i like all of the above. i throw in the 1/2 ton joke cause of another post on here that got way long winded and very heated.

also there are a few 2wd guys on here with some good desert rigs. sorry, if you took it wrong. i like all types of off road action- even ifs 2wd stuff. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

16. uglychevyZZ4

uglychevyZZ4 3/4 ton status

IFS IS COOL /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif I dig the ride, just cant afford to lift it /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

17. ChevyHuny

ChevyHuny 1/2 ton status

The faces didnt show up in my post /forums/images/graemlins/ooo.gif Anyway
    [ QUOTE ]
    the 1/2 ton joke cause of another post on here that got way long winded and very heated.

[/ QUOTE ]
    /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif lol That seems to happen with the other issue as well and seems to over shadows decent talk about all aspects of the truck world. (not meaning anyone in particular) . Thanks for clarifying for me and I hope I did not sound mean. It seems that you say ifs around here and all hell brakes loose so I thought I was safe with the sport issue lol. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I have a buggie. It is nothing special and I never have been able to put to much work into it but I wanted one after I saw the baja stuff.

18. COCHEV

COCHEV 1/2 ton status

no worries /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

ifs and the desert do go hand in hand. id like to see a 4wd ifs desert runner. it would be tough to get the cvs to handle lots of travel though.

what kind of motor do you have in your buggie? VW? is it a 2 seater? what kind of suspension does it have?

19. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

[ QUOTE ]
    id like to see a 4wd ifs desert runner.

[/ QUOTE ]
    The Herbst's have one. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Actually, one of their race trucks is 4wd.

20. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

[ QUOTE ]
    Forgive me if I am missunderstanding the comments and SFA pictures but I was talking about IFS in baja in particular and if anyone liked them. I wasnt starting this for compitition reasons with IFS, SFA and why you can build both for the same price or why its more affordable to go with SFA etc... I know IFS is like the plauge to you guys but sheeesh. Its just Baga, they do good in baja. Its not a crime just 1 measly little sport.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well heck, I must of missed those posts. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
    And this is happening where?

And as for your last comment about price, it's all about how fast you go. Each class takes a different amount of $$$$$ to run. I know these old boys in Stock Mini, spent $17 on their truck and have been running for about the last four years. Been doing pretty good too.