Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

baja trip...needed mods?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by rwright07, Apr 2, 2007.

1. rwright07

rwright07 1/2 ton status

we are starting to get more serious about getting things ready for our trip to baja this summer and im starting to question whether or not my stock diesel cooling system is up to the task. what do you think?

will i need to run an oil cooler?

what other mods do you guys think would be necissary/good to do for this trip?

thanks,
    rick

2. BKinzey

BKinzey 1/2 ton status

You don't already have an oil cooler? Definately get one:D Tranny cooler as well. Look into getting an intercooler for the turbo. How big is your fuel tank? I've never bought diesel in Mexico but you may want to get a better, and larger, fuel filter. 2 micron or certainly 5 micron or less. Maybe a larger oil pan. What have you got for skid plates?

Just suggestions as it is easier to spend someone else's money:D:D:rolleyes:

3. Big Blzn

Big Blzn 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Carry a lot of extra parts that you think you might even possibly need. Doubles on all filters. Do you really have to go to mexico in the summer, it's hot as hell everywhere down there. Take all the extra fluids as well as plenty of drinking water. Basically, you should be self sufficant as far as breakdowns go. Don't drive at night, bring plenty of cash and be able to hide it well. Cash will get you out of a lot of "problems" in Mexico. Absolutely no firearms of anykind and a supply of penicillan for your junk when it starts to burn a few days later.

4. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

Wow, thats hot. I'd change at least the rear diff to synthetic and use 75w140 weight.

I'd do at least a fresh oil change of your favorite diesel oil. A oil cooler is definately a good idea. a Trans cooler is a MUST

Consider two full sized spares if you can do it.

Do a flush and fill on the cooling system.

any extra fuel filtration if you can do it. Double up on filters.

Basically I just said everything everyone else said.

Oh yeah, Battery disconnects, if you can do it. Keep the alarm system seperate if you have one. Trying to jump a diesel is very annoying.

Lock boxes, lock boxes. and locking lug nuts. Anything that can be stolen, has an increasec chanse of being just "removed".

Extra water (duh). Distilled water is good for batteries and for the cooling system should you need it.

Extra light bulbs for the truck. maybe a few offroad lights?

oh yeah, spare hoses for you truck. Spare belts too.

5. rwright07

rwright07 1/2 ton status

ok heres what ive got so far... i ment tranny cooler... oil cooler is done.
    i am hoping to build a safari rack and allready have 8 150W lights for it.
    allready have locking lug nuts, battery disconnects, kill switch, manuel glow plugs, and hidden push button ignition

we have 5 5 gallon blitz OD cans and 4 7 gallon water containers, MRE's and crap,

spare belts are done and sufficient tools and electricalsupplies will be carried as well.

the oil pan has an 8qt capacity (compaired to my old gasser thats alot but for a diesel im not sure)

will my stock replacement radiator and fan be up to the task?

my fuel tank is alos skid plated.

thanks for the help and advice,
    rick

6. vortec

vortec 1/2 ton status

first, i'm jealous. i've always thought it would be cool to run in the baja 1000. but, even a regular trip would be sweet.

lots of good suggestions on here. don't forget spare u-joints. at least one spare air filter would be good, too. sand is a pain. and on the topic of sand, if you have a winch, you might need one of these: http://www.pullpal.com/aboutPP.html a regular boat anchor can work with atvs and stuff. not sure how much it would help with a loaded-down fullsize. i know there are different types of boat anchors, i just don't know jack about them.

7. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

misc bolts and nuts such as the ones used for your suspension. u-joints in zip locks to prevent contamination. Lotsa latex gloves just in case.

two spools of electrical wiring, some aligator clips, a meter, and replacement fuses.

Might want to bring a couple welding rods and a piece of welding glass for that extra weird repair you didnt think you would need to do.