Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Baking Soda Blasting

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by JohnSPledg, Apr 29, 2002.

1. JohnSPledg

JohnSPledg 1/2 ton status

Anyone tried this, do you need a special blaster, or will a sand blaster work? Is it worth the extra work and expense compared to silicate sand?

2. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

I think the biggest difference is that the baking soda doesn't remove any metal and the sand does.

3. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

Soda blasting is done w/ a special rig that sprays it wet. Not something you can do yourself.

NEVER sand blast sheet metal. You can do small spots, for rust, but if you try to blast a panel it will be warped to death. Even doing small spots will distort the metal in that area.

To strip paint use a plastic media. I have priced having a car done for a customer, for a mid size car all over it was about $400.00. (That is a Florida price BTW.)

4. four_by_ken

four_by_ken 1/2 ton status

I sand blasted A LOT of my Suburban body panels right down to bare metal. I used sand from the SIlver Lake Sand Dunes here in MI.

Not any warping.

Just dont over do it and you will be fine.

Ken H.

5. Smitty

Smitty 1/2 ton status

Depends on the type of setup you have. We soda blast using the dry system. It works pretty good except for the monster cloud in the area while you're working.

Smitty

6. Pure Insanity

Ive never attempted to blast whole panels, I have just seen the aftermath. It may have been the real small grain sand you used. Very creative source BTW. LOL!

7. Pure Insanity

I never heard of dry soda blasting. I only seen the wet set up. Prob not too popular cuz of the cloud you mentioned. When I was looking for some place to blast the customers car I couldnt find soda blasting anywhere in Central Fla. Only plastic media.

8. JohnSPledg

JohnSPledg 1/2 ton status

I am still trying to decide what I am going to buy. I have my blazer, and two old scout 80s to fix up. I was planning on buying a sandblaster to blast it myself. On the dry blast with the baking soda, are you using a regular sand blaster or is it a special rig?