Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Balance Beads??

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by denver75k5, Feb 21, 2002.

1. denver75k5

denver75k5 1/2 ton status

Someone may be blowing smoke up my you know what but, Is there such a thing as balance beads for tires? I was told its for tires 35" and larger, apperently you just throw the little balls inside your tire and they balance them as your going down the road....anyone ever hear of such an animal?

" Wider IS Better!!!"coloradok5.com/gallery/albun51?&page=1

2. shaggyk5

shaggyk5 1/2 ton status

ive heard this before, It comes up for discussion at least once a month on the pirate boards, but i can never seem to find someone who HAS done it and will tell everyone exactly how it worked out. Usually they talk about bb's or golf balls.

-matt
    <font color=purple> "Stuff's only good for 2 things, degreasing engines and killing brain cells"</font color=purple>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/shaggyk5>www.geocities.com/shaggyk5</a>

3. ChadH82

ChadH82 1/2 ton status

Golf Balls?!? Geez... I've heard BB's but not golf balls. Doesn't seem like those would work to well.

Chad
    '73 Blazer,383,400,Atlas II,D60/14 Bolt,traclok/detroit,39.5 Swamps <a target="_blank" href=http://members.aol.com/fileholder2meg/projblazer.html>Clicky</a>

4. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Yeah, search PBB. One guy put about 1.25 pounds of BBs in each of his TSLs and thought it worked well, another said 4-6 golf balls. Seems like the people who tried it liked it to varying degrees and most of the nay sayers had never tried it, or they had tried the powder which tends to clump up and stop working. However, it only works (supposedly) when rolling down smooth highway. If you hit a bump, it vibrates to varying degrees for a short time till it "finds the balance" again. I have never tried it so I can't speak from experience. Like I said, do the search on PBB.

Anyway, my 42s are not balanced so I'll probably try the BBs if I start having trouble. Who knows, nothing to lose in my case I think. I doubt I will ever care since I don't expect my truck will even hit 30 very often.

Russ

85 K30 CUCV, 350 TBI, TH400, 205, D60/C14, 4.56 Locked, 4" lift, 42" tires
    Some day: massive cutting, shorter wb and rear overhang.

5. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

try the powder first.
    i never had a clumping problem, i used it for years with tons of highway miles on several sets of 38.5 TSL's
    you will notice the difference when you hit a good bump

formerly 77chev
    still a jerk though

6. Innerpiece

Innerpiece 1/2 ton status

now that doesn't make sense ... if your tire is outta balance a little (manufacturing imperfection, etc) wouldn't the BBs go to the place furthest from the center of rotation ... the extra weight there would stretch the tire outwards ... so now you have more weight on a longer moment arm = more vibration and a place further from the center for the rest of the BBs to accumulate ...

on the flip side ... if it does work ... why not kill two birds and use a liquid like tire slime?

7. reddog64

reddog64 1/2 ton status

the bb's act as a counterweight. they are like a pendulum... they will go to the lace of the least weight. the tire will spin out of ballance till it gets up to speed... making an oblong shape, not round. the bb's will go away from the heavier spot in the tire... opposite the place with more material. looking at it from a technical way it should work for the tire.. bot not if a rim is WAY out of mallance... I think a powder would work better... the bb's could cause a problem at 70 mph and hitting a bump... they would go every wich way in the tire and then go back in there original position to balance the tire...

8. Innerpiece

Innerpiece 1/2 ton status

but if you spin something relatively quickly and one spot is heavier it pulls away from the center of rotation ... then the BBs go there ... and the slightly heavier out of balance spot gets even heavier (w/ BBs) and pulls away even more and attracts more BBs ... till you're riding on an egg ...

I have no experience with tire balancing BBs ... but that's how I think it would work ... someone please tell me otherwise (other than it just works).

9. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

it just works(kinda)

formerly 77chev
    still a jerk though