Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Balance holes drilled in a 350 flywheel?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by mountainexplorer, Jun 22, 2003.

1. mountainexplorer

mountainexplorer 1/2 ton status

I have a flywheel that I pulled off a 454. I had assumed that it was a 350 flywheel, since they swapped in the 454 replacing a 350, and they had used a balance plate that was bolted between the flywheel and crank.

I just had that flywheel re-surfaced to use on a 350, and I noticed 4 balancing holes drilled on the front of it. (left flywheel, bottom left of pic)
    [​IMG]

Did some 350 flywheels have balance holes drilled in them like this? (the flywheel on the right of the picture is a 350 flywheel for sure).

2. Lonnie

Lonnie 1/2 ton status

Those holes are drilled for balance.... they are only to neutral balance the flywheel. This is required due to some casting irregularities. A non-counterweighted flywheel would likely require more drilling than possible to make it compatible with a 454. In these applications (400, 454 & late model 1pc. seal engines)you require weight to be added not subracted.

3. mountainexplorer

mountainexplorer 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the input. Now I'll feel a bit more comfortable using it on the 350, instead of wondering if someone had balanced it otherwise.