Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Balance patches

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by RGF, Aug 29, 2001.

1. RGF

RGF 1/2 ton status

Anybody using balance patches on there big tires? I read about them somewhere and it sounds like a good idea with big mud tires instead of a pound or more of lead wts. that usually get ripped off anyways. I have used the powder with big swampers before and hated it at any speed under 50mph and had it removed.
    I need to hear the good and bad about them soon, I had my 37x12.50 radials mounted on new rims this week and fiquired they would balance up nice because they are somewhat narrow and they are radial but was I wrong, wts. everywhere, one had eighteen ozs.HELP!!!

RGF

2. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

Are you talking about the sick on style? Those would probably work best since they go on the inner rim and are less likely to get ripped off.

Mike

<font color=green>"It's like a sore dick deal, You cant beat it!"</font color=green>

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/emmettology101>www.geocities.com/emmettology101</a>

3. michaelm

michaelm 1/2 ton status

i was never able to find a tire shop that had heard of that style balance pad
    it wont help with swampers as they are usually out of round.
    i did the Equal powder for years as well.
    the real solution is to not run swampers on the road. i found some 39" michelin XLs and they are perfectly round and balanced with very litttle weight.

4. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I think its a stick on weight that goes inside the tire...
    BTW if you run 15" rims on 3/4 ton stuff the stick on weights for the inner side of the rim can't be used, the caliper will just wipe em right off.

Rene

<font color=green>Dyslexics of the world...UNTIE!</font color=green>

5. Executioner

Executioner 1/2 ton status

Temp. Ft. Walton Beach Fl. home=Tucson, Az.
    You wiil need to contact an industral tire dealer to get the patches, you might try Mayer Tire's somewhere
    near Dallas TX. or maybe Berlin Tire, near Seattle(Kent) WA.
    I Have used thmn and they work really good. If you can't find them, maybe you can make your own.
    Good luck

6. Emmettology 101

You can get these at Summit or similar places. They attach, I think, wiht double stick tape..

Believe it or not, I mounted my swampers in my garage with tire irons and never balanced them. I get a small vibe around 70, but that is it!

Mike

<font color=green>"It's like a sore dick deal, You cant beat it!"</font color=green>

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/emmettology101>www.geocities.com/emmettology101</a>

7. michaelm

michaelm 1/2 ton status

you are way off emmett. he is talking about inside the tire carcass weights not cheapo glue on the rim.

8. Emmettology 101

10-4. i was just elaborating on the weights I was talking about.

Mike

9. RGF

RGF 1/2 ton status

You glue the pads inside of the tire after mounting and spinning it on the machine to see where it needs wt. then you mark the tire and break it back down. This sounds like the way go, no ugly wts. on your nice wheels to go flying off.
    I checked everywhere about them and they said we dont do that here or never heard of them so I explained it to the shop that spun balanced mine and he called his supplier and has some coming in and asked if I wanted to be a test dummie @ cost and I said HELL YEAH!!!
    My tires are Good Year MTs 37x12.50x16.5 and it was Super Swampers website that I read about them.
    RGF

10. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Here's the link to what interco says about balancing patches:http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Thunders-Blaze
    <font color=orange>Charter Member of The Too Much Fun Club</font color=orange>

11. michaelm

michaelm 1/2 ton status

interco doesnt know jack about balancing tires. they cant even build them ROUND. their website is an insult to their customers blaming them for lousy manufactured tires that are unbalanceable and out of round.

12. tRustyK5

Maybe you just have real bad luck with em. I bought a used set uf 36" TSL's that had seen some serious abuse for a few years and thought they'd be impossible to get balanced. No problems at all, in fact they took less weight than my Radial Grabber MT's...

Rene

13. michaelm

michaelm 1/2 ton status

i have bought lots of them but always the same size 38.5/16/16.5. never found one round and just put the worst of them on the rear and the closest to round on the front and boughut a steady stream of steering stabilizers. started running them in 1990 and finnally gave up last year. NEVER AGAIN. just let a friend have my last set for $400 w the rims and he found some poor soul to buy them for $600 even with the obvious damage from being out of round???

14. tRustyK5

Could be the 16.5" rim size just sucks...my Grabbers are on 16.5" rims and i can't ever get them to balance. My TSL's are on 15" rims and they balanced up pretty good for a tire of that size. The TSL's run quite a bit smoother on the highway, enough of a diference that I left em on the truck for my last trip...down to San Franciso and San Diego.

Rene

15. michaelm

michaelm 1/2 ton status

i figure if they cant make a TIRE round, kind of the first requirement for a tire in my books, dont bother making tires regardless of the rim diameter.
    cant get 15"s to clear my brakes

16. tRustyK5

The grinder is your friend...lots of guys here run 15" rims on 3/4 ton and one ton front ends.[​IMG] Myself included.

Rene

17. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I have BFG Mud Terrains in 35x12.50R15 and not a single one of them took over 4 or 5 ounces to balance.

Tim
    '84 Chevy K10, lifted, loud, fast, and 3/4 ton axles

18. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I have BFG Mud Terrains in 35x12.50R15 and not a single one of them took over 4 or 5 ounces to balance.

trustyk5,

Yes, lots of people run 15" wheels on 3/4 ton axles, but not with stick on weights in them!!

Tim
    '84 Chevy K10, lifted, loud, fast, and 3/4 ton axles

19. tRustyK5

Well Tim i never suggested that you could run 'stick-on' weights on a 15" rim with the 3/4 ton or one ton front ends...however if you read the original post you'd see that wasn't what we were discussing. The subject dealt with adding a weighted patch to the inside surface of the tire itself to compensate for imbalance. Weights glued to the inside of the tire would have no effect on brake clearance at all.

As for the 'stick-on' weights...the tire shop that balanced my Swampers had one done with the stick-ons on the back side of the rim before I noticed...those came off right away when I explained what they were being mounted on.

Rene