Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Balancing 33's

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 78Suburban, Nov 18, 2005.

?

How do you balance 33's?

1. Lead weights on wheels

19 vote(s)
    79.2%
  2. Golf Balls

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Some other Blancing Media

5 vote(s)
    20.8%
  1. 78Suburban

78Suburban 1/2 ton status

What is the best way to balance 33" TSL, Bias tires on stock 16.5x6.75 wheels?

2. fireplug

fireplug 1/2 ton status

Balancing beads for sure.

3. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

33s should balance out fine with weights on the wheel, get a good normal balance done like that.

4. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

Lots of lead! Pound-on weights are the best to balance. better weight placement......

5. 78Suburban

cool, guess I'm looking at getting a tireshop to mount my tires and balance them..... I hope they don't throw a fit about putting 12.50 tires on a 6.75" wheel :p:

6. muddyblzr

muddyblzr 1/2 ton status

you the weigth that stick to the flat part of the wheel. ive never had good luck keeping the ones that hammer onto the lip they always seem to fall off after offroading. ive never had the ones that stick to the wheel do that though. 33'' will balance out fairly easily

7. KTEX

KTEX Registered Member

The best balance possible is to find a shop with a roadforce balancer,it takes a while,but basically the machine will find the heavy spot of your tire and heavest wheel spot.you reindex the tire to wheel for the best balance.wheel wieghts are fine.

8. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

roadforce balancing shouldn't take much if any more time then a n ormal balancer. The one we had at school was quick and easy.

9. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

Hammer weights are fine as long as you keep the off of rocks. Stick ons ar better unless you see alot of mud or deep water. Golf balls are too big for a 33 on a 16.5. Airsofts BBs are nice, but I think they are over kill for a 33. If those were mine I would go hammer ons and keep an eye on the weights after wheelin.

10. ProJunkRacing

ProJunkRacing 1/2 ton status

hammer ons honestly might be kinda hard on a wheel that narror because of how wide the tire is I once was told to balance some tires 33/14.5/15 on a ranger , and the rims were 8" wide , and i couldn't even get a weight on it because of the tire stickin out so far told the customer we couldn't do em

11. 78Suburban

so hammer ons might not fit on this wheel/tire combo?
    I wonder what would happen if I didn't balance them at all? :

12. fireplug

fireplug 1/2 ton status

I'm really surprised that more guys aren't supporting 'beads' they don't get knocked off in the mud or water or anything and work great. I had them in my 33's before I went to 37's and they fixed my square tires. I don't have them on my 37's yet but I will.

13. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

you may have to go to a little mom n pop or crackhead type of tire shop to mount those 12.5's on those narrow rims,,,some of the bigger corps like Big O or Discount may not want to deal with it,,, claiming a saftey hazzard or something.

i usually get all my "iffy" work done at the local crackhead tire shop, and is usually much cheaper.

just make sure you hang around and kinda watch the work they are doing. :D

14. JIMs70K25

JIMs70K25 1/2 ton status

I had 33" tsl bias plys and they were a pain in the butt to balance and didn't hold it well as the tires cupped/wore real bad. I only had 11000 miles on them when I got rid of them. I kept an eye on these, rotating and everything. If you use lead weights, get a dynamic balance(weights on both sides). I had mine balanced 3 times and the weights were all over the place each time(one shop once and another twice). Just my experience with 33" TSLs.
    I swapped to 35" bfgs and didn't even balance the rear and bubble balanced the front and they were smoother than the TSLs.

15. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Lead weights are great until you rip them off four wheeling. I will run the balancing media on my next set of tires.

Harley

16. ProJunkRacing

ProJunkRacing 1/2 ton status

it might work , and crazy vibes probably

17. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

If your out playing in rock hard enough to knock off hammer-on weights, don't you think your chewing up the tires and rims enough that they should be re-balanced anywhy?

The reason I dont like the tape weights are I'm rumming 15" rims.... and if your playing in rocks don't the get in there at times and chew them up too?

18. 78Suburban

Those are the same tires I will be getting. So other than the DD issues (Mine is trail only) did you have any other complaints? Did they perform well off road? Did they clean well?
    thanks,
    James

19. Inu-Hanyou1776

Inu-Hanyou1776 1/2 ton status

Balancing tires with golf balls? What are you guys talking about? :doah: I've never heard that term before!