Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Balancing 42's for running on the road.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by K5BLT4FUN, Dec 14, 2002.

1. K5BLT4FUN

K5BLT4FUN 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Balancing 42\'s for running on the road.

I have recently purchased a set of 42x15x16.5 Super Swampers. I will be putting them on hummer wheels with modified beadlocks from Daniel at USA 6x6. I need some ideas on trying to balance this combo to run on the road. I drive my truck to all the trails. Can anyone them me what they are doing to balance their big tire and wheels combos? /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

2. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

Re: Balancing 42\'s for running on the road.

I am yet to try it but I have heard from several people about dropping in BBs when mounting the tires.

3. Chris Demartini

Chris Demartini 1/2 ton status

<font color="blue">Don't waste your time. The first cold night they sit, the balance will be tottaly off

4. Depdog

Depdog 1/2 ton status Author

No the balance wont be off, the tires are bias ply so they flat spot when let sit for a while. Once you drive them for a few miles and they get warm, they round back out and the balance is right where it was. Make sure they are good and warm from driving when you do balance them.

Depdog

5. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

I rode in Pete's (Yunit) truck with 38.5 SX's that were not balanced and outside of Swampers being out of round it rode fine on the highway. I'de put them on and see how they do before worring about the balance.

6. Tweetysuarus

Tweetysuarus 1/2 ton status

Use equal in the tires!
    Bill

7. K5BLT4FUN

I am not familiar with the product known as Equal. What is it? Who makes it? Where can I find info on it? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

8. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Equal is a powder for inside the tire. The only reason I'd shy away is moisture will make it clump up. Also you need filtered valve stems which would make airing up and down a PITA...use BB's.

Rene

9. Tweetysuarus

Tweetysuarus 1/2 ton status

Check with 4WPWS they have the product
    Bill

10. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> BBs or golf balls, about 10-12 ounces in each tire should do it. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif </font color>

11. blk87K5

blk87K5 1/2 ton status

I wouldn't even mess with it. The cold nights won't throw the balancing off, but airing them down and wheeling will. If you are going to air them down to a low pressure, which I am assuming that you are since you bought hummer beadlocks, you will never be able to keep them balanced. I haven't balanced mine. Bias ply swampers in large sizes are notorious for being very out of round, so your efforts will probably be friutless.

12. Pure Insanity

After reading the posts I have to come in again....my 16x38 Swampers ride NIICE. I dont know what size yall are running but it cant be a 16x38. Everyone I know that has 16x38s loves them. Mine arent even balanced right now. They were balanced, but when I swapped rims I took it to warm them up and they didnt really need it. I may drop in some BBs just to get rid of the little bit of hop I have though.

When you air down there is a better chance of the tire spinning on the rim, maybe not as bad w/ bead locks, but the BBs will balance ANYWHERE the tire is out. Think of it as being constantly balanced.

13. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

Greg has 38.5x16x16.5 and he hated his. rattled like hell. balanced them and now (as far as i have heard) he loves them.

I have 39.5x15x16.5 and without blancing them, they rode like crap. Balanced is a bit better and helps road mannerisms.

i would have them blanced dynamicaly and let them go. If you know of a place, have them trued first.

14. Pure Insanity

Maybe mine having BEEN balanced may have helped true them. Everyone I know that has the same as I have loves them. All the tires were bought about the same time. Maybe we just got a better run of them? /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

15. K5BLT4FUN

I can't find any place in my area that will balance my 42's. That is why I posted my question, to get ideas on how to help my situation. Thanks for all the great responses.

16. reddog64

reddog64 1/2 ton status

Les Schwab said for 20 bucks a tire they will shave and laser balance them to your rims...

Has to be done when there ordered or they have to be sent off to a LARGE les schwwab store...

But I guess it works really well... /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

17. 4xfreak

4xfreak Registered Member

When going to balance big tires, try finding a tire store that deals with semi trucks as well as passenger vehicles. My local tire store was able to balance my 37's very nicely. As with anything I agree with the BB's thing, try it once and then return them to the box from which they came. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

18. SCOOBYDANNN

SCOOBYDANNN 1/2 ton status

I just put some 42's on mine and i just got back from about 100-150 mile trip and i have NO balance and even rockstomper beadlocks and i was crusing w/ freeway traffic (65-70) w/ NO vibrations. im running 18 psi in the back and 25 in the front. i think there is so much rubber on those tires that i think they soak up any imperfections in the road. i even lost a lot of the death wobble i used to have.

19. Judd

Judd 1/2 ton status

Sorry for my lack of knowledge on the BB thing, but does it really work? I've heard about the Equal stuff but never tried it because of the drawbacks. The BB thing sounds good though. It was stated previously that 10-12 ounces would be the correct amount, any other thoughts on this? Thanks Shaggy, hope ya'll ain't playing! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

20. captain chaos

captain chaos 1/2 ton status

i'm running the same tires.
    the tire dealer here used balence patches to balence them.
    i had 2 that where way out, would have taken about 2 pound's of weight to balence at the rim /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif
    with the patches you only need half that becouse it is at the tire where you need it.
    they ended up makeing me special patches out of some type of tractor tire stuff they had.
    it work's.
    also i called interco first and they sent me some patches.
    i have been told that they will do this at the factory, if asked before they ship out.
    my friend's 16.5 38 bogger's came with patches in.
    if all else failes just send them to me i need another set /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

dave