Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Balancing Beadlocked 40's

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 79Stomper, Nov 30, 2004.

1. 79Stomper

79Stomper 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Balancing Beadlocked 40\'s

I have posted this once before but never really got anywhere. I only want to mount these things once on the truck and on the rim. Does anyone have a fool proof method to balance the tires before they are mounted and it actually works?

James

2. TB2Blazer

TB2Blazer 1/2 ton status

Re: Balancing Beadlocked 40\'s

I dunno I just today mounted my 40's and threw a bag of that Equal powder balancer in them. I haven't had a chance to drive it on the road yet cause I'm putting some new headers on it but as soon as I do I'll let ya know. I've heard you can put golf balls or bb's in it as well.

3. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    I've heard you can put golf balls or bb's in it as well.

[/ QUOTE ]I have heard that can tear up the inside of the tire. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

Stomper,
    I might be missing something but if you don't want to drive the truck with unbalanced tires and wheels why not load them up in another vehicle and take them to the tire shop and hve them mounted and balanced? Then haul them home and bolt them to the axles. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

4. 79Stomper

Thought about that too, but no one will touch anything over a 35 plus the beadlocks and 40's. I found This Link (search actually worked for me once) and think I am just going to do it this way. Seems a whole lot safer than the golf ball and BB things. I have heard of people putting them in their tires and I just couldn't imagine what they would do to the inside of the tire. Going to try the equal and I fire about 10oz a tire should do it for a 40. Now all I have to do is talk the boss into giving me a little more $$$$$ so I can get her back on the road.

Thanks all.

James

5. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I would figure the tire guy would go... /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif when you roll 40's and beadlocks in the shop. /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

I would go with equal too.

6. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

i dont se how BB's ould mess up the inside of the tire /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif thats what i would use, alot cheaper

7. 79Stomper

I just finished reading this off of PBB and they said the BB's worked fine but they have never pulled their tire off to look inside.

The way I see it is friction. Imagine all of those little bb's inside your tire spinning their little hearts out to balance your big meats. Now what happens when you stop? Yeah they keep spinning but remember your tire is out of round due to your stopped and they will only continue to spin if it is round. Now that your tire is round and has no force they slow, but not at the same rate. SO in comes some fast and some slow they make contact and start bouncing around inside your tire, from a rubber surface to a steel surface, not to mention the rubber surface has concrete backing it so it is not really "expaning" the way most rubber does. Plus keep in mind hitting the steel wheels and bouncing. I would think this would cuse wear on the inside of the tire and you don't really notice until say one day you have a blowout and you shoot or say 10 0z. of BB's everywhere. Lets not even imagine the liability of a blowout if your in a neighborhood and people are out and about.

That is just what I think about BB's or golf balls. Just my 2 cents but I would feel safer with a little bit of powder in my tires than I would 10 oz. of BB's or a few golf balls.

8. tx_sub

tx_sub 1/2 ton status

i've read that larger tires can be out of round. you have to true the tire to cure that. to put it simply, you put the tire on a lathe and trim until its round. however the treads may be deeper on one side but not on the other from it being out of round and knocking down the high spots. for a street driven rig. the roundness is a big factor. after that, throw in some equal for fine tuning.

i'm sure tire shops don't want to do it, but if you persist enough some will cave in and do it for you. good luck.

9. FRIZZLEFRY

FRIZZLEFRY 1/2 ton status

I ran golf balls for a couple years in some 37 SSRs.I took them out when I sold the tires and the balls were fine,just a little black.The cool thing about golf balls is that you can add and subtract if need be easily.If you run a single bead lock you can just break the inner bead to put them in or take them out.And with balls ya dont have problems airing down or have to worry about moisture getting inside the tire.

Now I have 42" IROKs and DIY4X4 beadlocks runnin balls /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

10. 1-ton

1-ton 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I bought a set of these for my truck, and they work great. They cost me $200 + $10 shipping for a set of four.

[​IMG]

Roight now I am only running a set of 33", but I have a brand new set of 16X10 rims, and 35" tires I am going to be mounting on my truck shortly.

Here is a link to the company I bought them from http://www.centramatic.com/

11. 85mudblazin

85mudblazin 1/2 ton status

not to mention the bb's wil start to rust since moisture gets into the tire. /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

12. clarkjw24

clarkjw24 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

If you want to make a trip, I'm pretty sure I can get my tire shop to balance them. If you want I'll call them and see if he has any concerns. I've talked to him before about balancing mine with beadlocks and he didn't seem scared.

13. k5floyd

k5floyd 1/2 ton status

the black tub thing and the metal tubing wouldnt fit over my 35s so i coulnt uses the machine to do it. we used a bubble balencer that race car tires are often balenced with

14. original balzer

original balzer 1/2 ton status

usualy you can have you tires trued before they are shipped
    (shave off the out of round) but it cost more and you have to know to ask for it also it dont usualy take much of the tread off i been trying to figure out a way to do this myself but havent got it yet lol

willow

15. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

If you think about the amount of force absorbed by tires when a 6,000 lb. truck going 70 mph hits a small pothole, or even a golf ball size rock on the road, or spins the tires on gravel.........then I don't really see how a handfull of BB's or a few golf balls could tear up the inside of a tire.

16. y5mgisi

y5mgisi 1 ton status

good point /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

17. PROFESSORSK5

PROFESSORSK5 Registered Member

I have equal in my 36x13.5x16.5 IROKS with no other weights on an 89 K5 with 8 1/2 in lift, and they seem to be balanced. I have had them on the freeway here in California at about 75 MPH and there was no vibration. So in general I am pretty happy with the equal. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif