Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

balancing idea

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by darkshadow, Jan 5, 2006.

1. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

ok we all know the differant way to balance a tire, traditional snap on weights.

weight 'patches' on the inside of the tire.

equal, or other loose balanceing media

and the backyard redneck way

golf balls,

bbs,

airsoft pelits.

i was thinking the other day why not a liquid?

at first i though water but that could be bad for a steel rim, so something like alcohal, few ounces, would do the trick.

i am not really thinking of doing this but was wondering any cons do doing it?

2. Inu-Hanyou1776

Inu-Hanyou1776 1/2 ton status

:thinking: I'm intrigued. This is the first time I've heard of these backyard ways of tire balancing. Enlighten me about the pros & cons of each one. I'm actually kind of scared of them. I mean having foreign objects inside a tire? There's gotta be a reason the manufacturers don't do it.

3. PeteH

PeteH 1/2 ton status

i think any liquid would evaporate pretty quickly..even in the tire...and esp alchol. but maybe oil:) ...ehh even so itd be pretty messy.

4. colbystephens

colbystephens 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

yeah - i think evaporation would be a problem. you'd have to use a fluid with an extremely high boiling temp. to make it work, and the cost of such a fluid is probably not worth it in comparison to something like bb's or air soft pellets. the effects of this fluid on rubber would also need to be taken into consideration.

however, if it would work, it would be a nice space saver for bringing a bit of dechutes brewery "black butte porter" out for camping on the trail - or maybe rickard's red. :D pack it with some dry ice and you could turn your rig into a portable keg.

colbystephens.

5. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

liquid does not work. it doesnt find the light spots on the tire, it spreds out completly/ evenly and becomes flat around the tire. i remember reading it on one of the balancing companys sites. i guess the best setup is a oil/solid setup. the oil acts as a dampaner and does not allow sudden jolts (like big highway expansion joints) to suddenly unballance the tire. the type bolt to the hub i believe though, and dont go inside the tire.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2006
  6. mofugly13

mofugly13 1 ton bucket of rust Premium Member

I have heard of folks trying antifreeze, but I don't know if it works or not.

7. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

its no differant than anyother liquid... just doesnt work.

8. WhiteBurb

WhiteBurb 1/2 ton status

I've seen guys put water and anti-freeze in their tractor tires. Supposed to make them heavier and increase traction.

9. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

thats completely differant though. like you said thats to get more weight in the ground, not balance the tire.