Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Balancing Question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 79Stomper, Sep 7, 2004.

1. 79Stomper

79Stomper 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Just curious as to how you would balance a set of 40" tires with beadlocks. Have seen in a post a long time ago about using steel balls or something lik that. How would you determine how much to put in if you were to do this or what are other options and how do I go about doing them.

I do need these things balanced due to the distance I have to travel to do a decent trail ride and would like to go faster than 35mph.

James

2. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gifDefinitely not a task I would want to take on. How bad is it anyway?

3. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

i run my 35s unballanced all the way to 75 and never had any vibrations /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

some use golfballs, not sure how many to use though /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

4. big jimmy 91

big jimmy 91 1/2 ton status

I have heard of people using golf balls , but /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

5. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

There's nothing in my 38.5s and I've never had a problem.

6. tx_sub

tx_sub 1/2 ton status

golf balls are not a good idea. there was a post a while ago talking about equal and they mentioned the cons about golf balls eating up the inside of a tire. if they are out of round you can have them trued. that will help a lot. how bad are the actual wheels? if you use the equal stuff you need to change your valve stems to ones with a little filter on the inside so they don't get clogged by the equal.

7. 79Stomper

79Stomper 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Don't know yet. Once my beadlocks get done and I weld them on I will be able to tell. I was just wanting to get some information now that way I won't have to worry about it anyway.

8. xtrmjoe

xtrmjoe 1/2 ton status

Centramatic continuous wheel balancers are great. But they only work above 20mph. Perfect for a dd and weekend wheeler. If just a wheeler use equal, and clean dry air.

9. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

If you know somebody with a machine and can get access to it after hours best way to do it is spin all the rims and mark the heavy side and spin all the tires on a rim that has been zeroed so you know where the heavy side of the tire is. You then put them on the rims with heavy sides opposite each other and your pretty close. This takes a long time of course. I have heard talk of using a liquid. That's what I'm gona do if I have any trouble. I figure that orange antifreeze would be about perfect. Start with maybe 12 fl. ozs. and go from there.

10. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

You can try Equal, powdwer balance.

11. smprider112

smprider112 1/2 ton status

what about alot of slime tire sealant /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif? then at least it would help seal any punture too /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    I'd say if it really bothers you...get the tires trued...ussually runs bout 80 bucks

12. mofugly13

mofugly13 1 ton bucket of rust Premium Member

A Toyota forum I used to frequent had a big discussion about using bb's. They used like 1/3 cup per tire, I think. You can add them through the valve stem after removing the core, IIRC.

13. k5mike

k5mike Registered Member

I worked it a tire shop prior to joining the Corps and some truckers used everthing from golf balls to tinnis balls????.....not to sure everyone had there opinion on this one.....I never saw a tire eat up from the inside due to any of them though????...if you can get a hook up at the hobby shop ( do they still send Marines to work over there or is it all civies now) on base they can tell you what side is heavier and turn the tire on the wheel to use the least amount of weights...but them you will run into loosing weights in the sand at Lejeune and you will have to deal with /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif driving all the way home????you could also keep note of weights and location on each wheel and take extras with ya to the trail?