Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

*&^%&$ Ball and socket collecters

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by SUBFAN, Aug 2, 2004.

1. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

After deciding not to pay $300 for a new Y pipe for the 'Burb, I buy a set of headers and plan to run duals for just a little more $$$$

I should have listened to my own advise, and bought Hookers.

The store had Heddmans in stock, so I buy them instead. Well, Heddman has decided that the ball and socket collector is the way to go, on about all headers they make now.

The reducers inside the box were 3" necked down to 2"OD /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif /forums/images/graemlins/screwy.gif WTF???? Plus, they are made of such thin material that expanding them is out of the question. Just try getting the correct reducer from anybody that can ship before the end of AUGUST /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

Anybody have an exhaust shop around that has a 2.75" 'Buick Ball' for expanding a 2.5" pipe???? This is most common for exhaust work on new Mustangs and Camaros. It seems most places just get pre=formed pipe for those, rather than get the die to make their own to use a few times a year.

/forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

Tried calling Hedman, and they were about as usefull as t**s on a Boar. /forums/images/graemlins/screwy.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/screwy.gif

2. Big Red

Big Red 1/2 ton status

<font color="red"> dude, u shoulda bought the hookers. even the dynomax ones i have are better than hedman. lol. only thing i found with the dynos is bad alignment when u try to route ur exhaust past the transfer case's crossmember. i bought semi-long s-bends from jegs and i was bale to bolt it right up. but yeah, hedmans suck! And boars already have t**s. lol.</font>

3. ntaj*ep

ntaj*ep 1/2 ton status

Stans headers........

4. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gifCalling in the AM....

5. POWERMAD

POWERMAD 1/2 ton status

Well that's a good thing to know, you would think that they would give a choice on pipe diameter. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif
    I have been looking at the Flowmaster header collector ball flange kit.
    They have collector kits for 3" collectors into 2 1/4 and 2 1/2" tube and one for a 3.5" collector into a 3" pipe.
    $45 for the 3-2.5 tube.

6. ntaj*ep

ntaj*ep 1/2 ton status

Hope he has it, had to wait a little for mine. He does runs of 'em and if you catch him at the end you have to wait....

7. ugly_blazer

ugly_blazer 1/2 ton status

I have the exhaust shop I go to cut the flange off of the header/collector (?) and swell the pipe and weld it directly to the header, no leaks ever and no loss of flow /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

We opted not to weld directly to the collecter, as he believes they cause more leaks at the head.... /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

I didn't want to do that, as then I would have to cut the pipes it I needed to change the shackle bolts.

He said the collecters were not a true 3", making other ideas difficult. With the 'supplied' collecters being so thin, who would want to pay AND wait for the right ones????

We are cutting Heddmans collecter off, and making our own ball and socket collecter ala the Flowmaster design. We will see how it holds up /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

9. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

what is a ball &amp; socket collector? I know what a reg collector is, just no idea on a ball &amp; socket

10. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

Think of your joint in your shoulder. Now drill a hole through the whole works for the exhaust to flow....

11. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

Kind of like that....

What Ben said....

12. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

13. POWERMAD

POWERMAD 1/2 ton status

Instead of the leaky azz prone 3 bolt flange that don't clear I decided on those.
    I got sick of replacing collector gasgets on one rig and just welded the pipes to the collector.
    PITA later on.

14. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Were these Elites or not?

Mine are nowhere near as small as 2" OD diameter, and IIRC are exactly the same diameter as the stock 6.2 diesel dual pipes, which is what I had them welded to. All parts to adapt the new headers to the old exhaust were purchased at NAPA, and the only "adapters" I needed were the ones that joined the two same diameter pipe halves together. (one per side)

I could go out and measure if you like, perhaps yours came with the wrong pieces? Probably too late now though, coming into this after the fact.