Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Ball joint adjuster nut question

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Silverado_K5, Dec 22, 2006.

1. Silverado_K5

Silverado_K5 1/2 ton status

I installed new ball joints in my 87 Chevy 4x4 about a year ago. I just noticed that the left upper ball joint has a very little amount of play in it. I took the big ball joint nut off of it and tried to adjust the adjuster nut with the spanner socket, but it won't move either way. Can I put the big nut back on it and then whack the nut and upper ball joint with a hammer to shock the adjuster nut so it can move? Or do I have to loosen the lower ball joint nut a little bit to get some play in the upper one?

Thanks in advance for the help,

Doug

2. roadnotca

roadnotca 3/4 ton status

I'm at exactly the same spot as you are. I read a previous thread where someone mentioned; back off the top nut and then BFH the casting surrounding the adjuster sleeve/nut, with some PBlaster or equivalent of course. I'll be trying this myself no later than Tuesday.
    Stay subscribed to this and we'll see how it works for either of us.:D

3. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

`you do know that the adjuster nut is only for first install preload adjustments. if you have play after 1 year in the ball joint then its worn out. best to only buy spicers or moogs.

4. roadnotca

roadnotca 3/4 ton status

In my case they are MOOG. I wasn't real confident in my initial installation though.

5. roadnotca

roadnotca 3/4 ton status

So to follow-up; I was changing the steering arm, so I figured I'd experiment. Here's the drill.
    Take off the top nut, flip it upside down and thread down to flush with the top of the ball joint stud. This is so you can beat on it without damaging anything. At this point I also sprayed in some penetrating PBBlaster/Kroil/LiquidWrench whatever.
    Using a four lbs. hammer, I got bang, bang, smack! So I assumed the change in tone, announced that it broke free.
    With the four lbs. hammer again I hit the knuckle casting just outside the adjuster. Again it was a bang, bang, smack.
    Spin the nut off, use the adjuster socket, and it worked.:D

6. bp71k5

bp71k5 3/4 ton status Premium Member

One other option is to make a little tool from a deep socket, large bolt, and a nut. You put the socket on the lower ball joint and thread the bolt onto the nut so you can turn the nut and force the screw head up so it presses out the upper ball joint. Most of the cheap repair manuals have a picture of it since it's hard to describe. It worked perfect for me.