Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

ball joint install!! HELP

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by yeild2me, Jan 18, 2001.

1. yeild2me

yeild2me 1/2 ton status

what is the initial setting (if any) on the upper ball joint adjuster. or better yet, can some one explain the steps starting with the the installation of the knuckle on to the axle. the new ball joints are on, but its too hard to turn the knuckle when i tighten the nuts (80 ft.lbs lower 100ft lbs upper). even with just the lower ones tight its more than the spec. 25 lbs to turn..am i doing something wrong!! the haynes manual isnt much help..... FYI-i took the knuckles to a shop to do the removal/installtion of the ball joints and now im putting it all back together. thanks

AIRBORNE!!

2. yeild2me

yeild2me 1/2 ton status

i am still stuck...........this thing is wearing me down!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! what is up with it!!!!!!!!

AIRBORNE!!

3. KENBARBOUR

KENBARBOUR Registered Member

I HAD TO BUY A SPECIAL WRENCH TO TORQUE THAT SLEEVE ON THE TOP BALL JOINT
    MY CHILTON MANUAL EXPLAINED IT ALOT BETTER THAN THE HAYNES MANUAL
    4 WHEEL AND OFF ROAD HAD AN ARTICLE ON HOW TO DO BALL JOINTS NOT TOO LONG AGO
    MAYBE YOU CAN FIND THAT ISSUE

4. DMK

DMK 1/2 ton status

My balljoint came with new adjusting sleeve. Put sleeve in knuckle flush with top. then I installed knuckle. i tightened bottom nut just to pull up on knucle. then tighten adjusting sleeve to 50ftlbs. Then tighten bottom nut to 80 and upper to 100. Tighten upper more not less to install cotter pin. Make sure balljoints are greased before checking pull, mine had very little grease in them. Good luck!

5. ftn96

ftn96 1/2 ton status

Yield, go with DMK's advise. I just installed new ones on my 90.
    I did however come across the same problem with the knuckle being to hard to turn on the passenger side. So I took it all back apart and step torqued the adjusting sleeve.
    I install the sleeve, then torqued it to 20 lbs, then installed the top nut and torqued it to 100, then it settled a bit, then I took the top nut off, and torqued the sleeve a little more, then again wiht the top nut to 100, when I got to the end it was nice and tight but moved freely. Try this and see if it helps. It worked for me.

Will work for parts, beer and sex.
    90 Jimi,350/700R4/241/10bolts/3.73's/33's/4"
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://mccordhouse.freeservers.com>http://mccordhouse.freeservers.com</A>