Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Ball Joint Press, Is this a good deal???

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by TrcksR4ME, Apr 25, 2002.

1. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

I found this one at Harbor Frieght web site for $25.99<a target="_blank" href=http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=38926>click here</a>

Would this be worth having in the tool box, havent used a ball joint press but am thinking that is the next thing to add to the tool collection.

2. Calclips

Calclips 1/2 ton status

Swartz Creek, Michigan/Flint while in school
    If you read the trail packing guide on the main page, it says that Grim carries one with him and loves it. The article says that it makes U-joint and ball joint installation easy. I think I'm gonna get myself one.

3. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

That's not the same one that Grim has. I've got one just like the one he carries and it's made out of some very heavy cast metal. Try doing a search on the Harbor Freight site for an anchor pin press or u-joint tool. It's one heavy-duty tool and does indeed make it a breeze to swap a u-joint. /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

4. StonerK5

StonerK5 1/2 ton status

I have that exact tool, and it works great, only done u-joints with it though, haven't got around to tackling the ball-joints

5. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

You don't want that, it's junk. I've got one like Grim's, it's much better.

<a target="_blank" href=http://ww2.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=38335>Here</a> is the one you want, item 38335-0VGA

6. bobsurf

bobsurf 1/2 ton status

I saw one for sale similar to the 38338-0VGA out at TDS. Can't remember the name, but was also solid contruction.

7. rampage

rampage 1/2 ton status

What's the diff between that one and <a target="_blank" href=http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=43744> this one </a>? ... besides $60.
    Also isn't a special socket required ... like the one mentioned in ftn's write-up? And where could we find that?

8. SAVAGE1

SAVAGE1 1/2 ton status

$60!!!! I got the exact same tool from HF for $18.00, it was on sale. Its called the 3 in 1 somethin? Haven't used them on ball joints but they make changing Ujoints a breeze. 60 bones is just too much.

9. rampage

rampage 1/2 ton status

The 3 in 1 that was posted (part #38335-0VGA) goes for $40 and the link I posted goes for $100, but they look the same, both from Harbor Freight. I was litterally just about ready to head down there to pick one up.

10. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

I also got the one I posted from the local HF for less than $20 on a sale. I have no idea about the expensive one. Looks (and described) to be exactly the same...