Ball Joint Questions.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by chevydan3, Apr 30, 2006.

1. chevydan3

chevydan3 1/2 ton status

Nov 27, 2004
    Hey guys, I am in the process of changing my driver side ball joints on my K20. I searched and searched but get kind of confused on the answers to my questions. I have the harbor freight press, (the cheap one, but it is brand new and I am not too worried about it) so that is not a problem but my main questions are:

1. Do you have to remove the steering arm to use the press or is there enough room to leave the steering arm off? Pounding on that thing with a hammer is painstaking and annoying to the neighbors, I am sure.

2. Do I need a separator to remove the knuckle from the axle, or with a couple with a hammer do it?

3. Should I run the zerks or the plugs, are the zerks in danger of getting ripped off?

Any help would be great. Thanks.

PS, after being a "registered user" for over a year, I finally made it official tonight.

MTBLAZER89 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Aug 14, 2001
    Sweet welcome to ful member status.

I don't know if you can do it with the arm on. If it will come off might as well to be sure. Maybe somebody who knows will chime in.

No you don't need anything to remove the knuckle just whack it with a hammer, and it will fall off.

If your ball upper ball joints have the zerk in the bottom of the joint use the plugs after you grease them, or buy MOOG joints with a side zerk then you don't have to take the outer apart and pull the shafts to grease them. I use the plugs on the lower joints too just to protect the zerks when wheeling. keep the zerks in a place you'll remmeber for those frequent grese jobs.
  3. southernspeed

southernspeed 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Dec 24, 2003
    I've always done mine with the arm on. (3 sets now!) The main thing is getting it square to press out and in. If it's on the skew it'll make for hard work and can damage the knuckle.
    I use a fork and a big hammer. You can beat the side of the knuckle with a hammer if need be. A good few whacks with a 14lb-er should do it. Be aware that you may have got one free without knowing it. Listen for a change in sound when you hit it. If it sounds different start on the other one.