Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

ball joint questions

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Tonka, Aug 17, 2002.

1. Tonka

Tonka Registered Member

I am in the process of installing new ball joints. I'm also putting new U joints in the axle while I'm at it. I need help with a couple of things. First, where do you find the spindle roller bearing and seal? How do you get the old bearing and seal out? Where do you find the spanner socket for the upper ball joint sleeve? And finally, every place I've called has said they CANNOT press my old ball joints out and the new ones in. They said I would have to go to a four wheel drive shop as it takes some kind of special jig in the press. Does this make any sense? I really didn't expect this job to be so much trouble. Everything came apart without any problem. I really appreciate any ideas and advice.

2. JIMs70K25

JIMs70K25 1/2 ton status

I just replaced my ball joints on my passenger side. My bearing/seal was ok as were my wheel bearings(replaced them earlier) as for pressing the joints in and out. I rented a ball joint press from autozone(free, $99 deposit which they refund). Bought my ball joints from Napa. Took me all of 20 minutes to press the old ones out and the new ones in. Mine came apart easy too. As for the tool, a neighbor of mine had one. So that was easy I also used 3/4" drive ratchet/socket set.

3. K10ANDYKHAMNIC

K10ANDYKHAMNIC 1/2 ton status

that press line is BS , Arq and i just replaced his without any special tools , just a regular hand arbor press . dummies ....u could modify an old socket with a die grinder or some other means to match the new sleeve.

4. Tonka

Tonka Registered Member

Thanks for the help guys. I rented a regular ball joint press from Autozone today and did it myself. I don't have a die grinder or any way to modify a socket but I did locate a spanner socket. I had to order from O'Reilly and it is supposed to be here by Tuesday.
    Thanks again.

5. MJF

MJF 1/2 ton status

I'm gonna attempt to do a front end rebuild on my truck as well. What is this special, magical tool that you are talking about. Is it the tool to remove the hub or something else?

6. arq

arq 1/2 ton status

the spanner wrench is to remove the top adjusting threaded sleeve on the upper ball joint. it's a threaded sleeve to adjust camber. make sure you preload the threaded sleeve with the spaner socket. it's like 50lbs or so. the napa ball joints come with an instruction sheet.

andy is correct, no real special tools are needed but the ball joint tool is handy if you don't have a hydrolic press. harbor frieght sells them for under $40. i've used mine a few times and has reduced the time of changing ball joints by half. also reduces the amount of banged up fingers/hands and loss of tools flown over to empty fields and big yards with tall grass caused by excrutiatin pain /forums/images/icons/mad.gif /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

ARQ.

7. JIMs70K25

JIMs70K25 1/2 ton status

Are you sure you can adjust camber, I just torqued mine down to 50 ft-lbs then tightened the nut on the upper ball joint, of course the lower at this point has already been torqued. If you have to buy a special threaded sleeve, I guess you could change camber.

8. arq

arq 1/2 ton status

you will have to buy a special threaded sleeve with built in offset...

ARQ.

9. Tonka

Tonka Registered Member

I'm all done with the passenger side ball joints, wheel bearings and axle ujoint. I'm going to tackle the other side maybe over the weekend. I also have to take a look at the rear end as there is a strange noise coming from back there and I think it may be the rear wheel bearings. Anybody done that? Also, here's a little tip: If you decide to purchase that ball joint spanner wrench, do it on the net from a company (or site) called e-toolcart or something to that effect. They sell em for ten bucks. If you go to a parts store like I did and order one, it will cost you twenty bucks and its nothing more than a damn socket with teeth.