Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

ball joint replacement

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by LlanoK5, Jul 21, 2003.

1. LlanoK5

LlanoK5 1/2 ton status

How hard is it to get the old out and the new in. Are they pressed in or what. Oh yeah, I went to Autozone to get the new ball joints, told them what I had and got them. When I got home (35 miles later), I opened them to see what I was up against. The paperwork with them says that they are for a D44, I've got a 10b, will they still work or do I need to go back and get different ones. Any help is appreciated.

Kirk

2. Polaris

Polaris 1/2 ton status

Go rent a tool from Auto Zone. Yes they are pressed. I don't know for sure it it's the same from Dana 44 to 10 bolt but very possibly. Maybe go to Auto Zone's website and look it up to make sure you got the right parts. Have fun /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif we just did mine a couple of weeks ago.

3. LlanoK5

LlanoK5 1/2 ton status

How would rate the experience from not to bad to major PITA? I've got a three day weekend coming up this weekend, but my brother is coming to town for his sons birthday, and I won't get to work on it all three days. I'm hoping to get it done in one.

kirk

4. LlanoK5

LlanoK5 1/2 ton status

The picture of the press looks like a screw type c-clamp. Is it possible to use a c-clamp instead of driving 35 miles one way to borrow this tool?

Kirk

5. rampage

rampage 1/2 ton status

6. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

10 bolt and D44 ball joints are the same. 1/2 and 3/4 ton.

7. Polaris

Polaris 1/2 ton status

I'd rate it about halfway /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif If things go ok, a day should be enough. It took us maybe a couple of hours. We had the axle out of the truck though, and were in a fully outfitted shop with all the good tools (I'm spoiled, I know). Good luck!

8. chulisohombre

chulisohombre 1/2 ton status

it took me about 8 hours to do both sides.but my ball joints were 30 years old.they are pressed in.it is much easier with the c clamp removal tool.it has spacers that allow the threads of the ball joint go through them and presses on the ball only.it is much easier.i tried it both ways with a bfh and also with the press and press was way easier.

9. LlanoK5

LlanoK5 1/2 ton status

I just wanna get this straight in my mind. I've got pull the axle shafts out, right? As I've never done ball joints before and I'm going to devirginize myself on my K5.

Kirk