Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Ball Joint rubber grease inserts

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by sickquad, Aug 27, 2003.

1. sickquad

sickquad 1/2 ton status

So, I installed my new MOOG ball joints thanks to all of the info available here on the board. Went really well. Except one thing. The ball joints did not come with the rubber plugs to put in the grease fitting hole when you remove the grease fitting. Anybody know where I could get some of these? Or does anyone have any they could send me?

Thanks
    Chris

2. berg76

berg76 1/2 ton status

Autozone had a little package with replacment fittings. Also came with a plug you need.

3. sickquad

sickquad 1/2 ton status

I went everywhere today looking for those rubber inserts with no luck, including Autozone, anyone else have any ideas?

4. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

Why do you have to remove the fittings on your ball joints? Mine are permanent and I've never had any problems. Am I missing something? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

5. berg76

berg76 1/2 ton status

If you leave the filler fitting on the upper balljoint it will break off when you insert the axle shaft. Plus there isnt enough room to fit a grease gun on the upper one. The lower balljoint was fine obvioulsy. Thats my experiance on my 10bolt. I dont know about other axles.

6. Chris_T

Chris_T 1/2 ton status

I don't know about rubber plugs, but mine came with low profile brass threaded inserts last time I changed one

7. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I put red silicone in mine years ago and forgot about it. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

8. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

Hmmmmmmmmmmm, that's very strange. I've swapped out both sides on my 84 10 bolt and have had no issues with my zerks. The only thing I had to do was use a grease needle to get to the upper ball joint fittings. I couldn't reach the fitting without the needle.

Heck, everyone should have a needle anyhow. It's the only way you're able to reach greasable u-joints on the rear shaft as well.

9. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

The latest MOOG ball joints I have seen changed the placement of the grease fitting from its common bottom position which will interfere with the axle U-joint to the side of the ball joint at an angle so you can leave the grease fitting in and be able to grease it easily