Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Ball Joint socket?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by TX Mudder, Apr 30, 2002.

1. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

I'm ready to install balljoints.
    I have a copy of the instructions FTN96 gave me.
    Now, where do I buy the ball joint socket? There is an adjusting sleeve on the balljoint that apparently takes a special socket.
    DOes anyone have an online link to one? The part store guys are clueless and the tool mage they have list ball jount seperators, but no spanner wrench or ball joint socket or anything like that.
    This is the only thing stopping me and I have a few days off, so I want to get it done.
    -- Mike

2. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

In the instructions, it calls it a 'sleeve socket tool'
    IT even gives a part no. C-4169 for 'Miller Special Tool Company' in Garden City, MI 48135.
    I can't find anything on this online.

Here's a pic of the sleeve.

<a target="_blank" href=http://users3.ev1.net/~mattell/frame/sleeve.jpg>http://users3.ev1.net/~mattell/frame/sleeve.jpg</a>

-- Mike

3. rampage

rampage 1/2 ton status

I just did mine this weekend. I searched all the local tool/parts stores with the adjusting sleeve in my hand and they all looked at me sort of strange. What I ended up doing was getting a 3/4 inch deep socket that is used for spark plugs and cut it to give it the 4 prongs on the end. I wonder if this socket will still be covered by the lifetime warrenty /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

4. POWERMAD

POWERMAD 1/2 ton status

I got mine from Snap-on for a whopping $15.
    OTC tools also makes them.
    Every tool truck that stops in my shop has them on board and I have seen them in Napa.
    The part # for the Snap On one is S9613

5. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

Sounds like an idea.
    Those sockets are pretty tough - what did you cut it with?
    I have access to a die grinder, sawzall, etc.
    -- Mike

6. rampage

rampage 1/2 ton status

I used a die grinder, being very careful of course. A little filing didn't hurt either.
    I went to Napa, where I got my ball joints at, and they didn't have or know of any such tool. I was talking to the owner too who has been there for 15 yrs. Do you have the Napa part # so I can get it for future reference?

7. POWERMAD

POWERMAD 1/2 ton status

<a target="_blank" href=http://toolsource.com:888/ost/product.asp?sourceid=http%3A%2F%2Ftoolsource%2Ecom%3A888%2Fost%2Fresults%2Easp%253fqu%3Dsteering%2Bwheel%2Bor%2Btie%2Brod%2Bor%2Bball%2Bjoint%2526dept%255fid%3D500%2526mscssid%3Dxkrlh7ht3hs92p6a00j74979am6pc4ad%2526brand%5Fid%3D%2526sourceid%3D&amp;dept%5Fid=500&amp;pf%5Fid=61853&amp;mscssid=XKRLH7HT3HS92P6A00J74979AM6PC4AD>ball joint socket</a>
    That is the OTC one

8. bigmack

bigmack 1/2 ton status

I was reading the description from the link that POWERMAD left, it says it's for Dana frontends. I am going to replace my ball joints soon, but I have a 10-bolt front end, would I need one of these sockets or is a 10-bolt different ?

9. Rebel88

Rebel88 1/2 ton status

i have the one for the 10 bolt, i doubt it would be the same one for the 60. i got mine from the snap on man...i also got my hub locknut tool for a 14b full floater from the snap on dude

i can post some pics if you want

Later

10. JIM88K5

JIM88K5 1/2 ton status

Got mine from snap-off... Might also try craftsman. Car Quest may also carry one.
    Jim

11. 87GMC

87GMC 1/2 ton status

Got mine from Napa.
    Says "ingalls" and has the number "2979" printed on it.

12. mike reeh

mike reeh 1/2 ton status

The day I did my ball joints (about 2 months ago) nobody had the tool. napa had to order it, and I wasnt waiting around shops for a tool truck to come by, if you know what I mean.

so I went to kragen and for 10 bucks bought a deep metric socket something like 17MM or so, and took it home, clamped it in a vice and set the adjusting sleeve on it, and marked out where I wanted to remove material.. then I used an air die grinder to remove said material, and I also had to use a round steel bit like you'd use for porting a head, to remove material inside the socket - so it would fit over the ball joint stud... took me a good 10-15 mins of playing with the die grinder but it ended up working perfect.. so I busted out the engraver and wrote "mikes ball joint socket SAVE!!" on it.. I sure would have rather payed $5 more for the napa or snap on one, but I didnt have that option...

mike

13. POWERMAD

POWERMAD 1/2 ton status

Yes the socket will work for a corporate 10 bolt, everything from the knuckles out is the same as a D44.

14. bigmack

bigmack 1/2 ton status

Thanks everbody for the responses, I was trying to get my ducks in a row before I started tearing everything apart.

15. bigmack

bigmack 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the offer but I will just go to the link and print the picture. I got my 14ff socket from a local part store, I think it was about 20 dollars. I used to get weak kneed when I would walk into on of those snap-on trucks, I think I had and still have a major case of tim the tool man syndrome.