Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Ball Joints\Alignment BINDING!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 2High4U, Dec 23, 2005.

1. 2High4U

2High4U 1/2 ton status

I just went for an alignment today and notice that the thread of the lower ball joint where i put the nut on is hitting the axle shaft.( was thinking about just cutting it down a little bit)
    the threads for the steering arm are hitting the axle tubing a well.
    Was this something that I did wrong?

anyone know the proper way to fix this problem the guy said they were to tight...
    I could use torque specs and any info on how to shim it right.

I thought I was done with this and now I have to do it all over again pretty much:doah:

new drag links
    new ball joints
    new steering stabalizer
    new tie rods

Last edited: Dec 23, 2005
  2. 2High4U

2High4U 1/2 ton status

anyone?!? im sure there is someone out there that is just dying to make fun of me for doing this wrong.

3. mechted

mechted 1 ton status Premium Member

where did you get the parts? I had lower ball joints from Autozone that did this... ended up replacing with Napa brand

yet again proving to me the hard and expensive way, that Autozone sucks

4. KTEX

KTEX Registered Member

Sounds like the lower ball joints are the wrong ones,i dont think you can tighten the nut so hard it would hit the u-joint.I dont know the torque spec,but i know you can over tighten them-is the steering tight when turning?when driving straight ,does the steering wheel stick?

5. 2High4U

2High4U 1/2 ton status

Well I learned my lesson from autozone when i got the passenger tierod end and couldnt get it to fit:doah: I try from now on to avoid thise places.

I ordered it from lmc truck.

I also have to figure out what disc goes on the front for the brakes Mine are really wore down and it was changed from full time to part time and the horn doesnt work but thats easy to fix...

Im excited to say when this is all taken care of I will be able to pass inspection

6. 2High4U

2High4U 1/2 ton status

the steering is a little tight but not too bad the steering wheel does not stick.

when i went in for an alignment he said the the shims could be off and that the ball joints are too tight. other than that its fine with the exceptions of the threads hitting the axleshaft and axle tube.

why is it so hard to find the right parts for a factory vehicle expecially out of a restoration book
    It has a 4 in lift but i dont think that the steering arm needs replaced to a bigger one because thats not very much lift,.

7. mechted

mechted 1 ton status Premium Member

LMC sells the same taiwanese junk, better to go with Moog or Napa (couldnt find Moog local... couldnt wait for delivery from Summit. Though when it was all said and done it would have been cheaper to order through Summit and pay for the faster shipping... :( )

8. 2High4U

2High4U 1/2 ton status

Probably right i still have lots to learn about the Taiwanese junk dealers:D

what would be cool is is gm started making 73 blazers again so i could buy a new one

9. KTEX

KTEX Registered Member

i would grind them off this time-next time gm or moog

10. MTChevy

MTChevy 3/4 ton status Premium Member

i bought a DL adjuster sleeve from LMC... bent, not a good thing... put a stocker on been good ever since... coulda been from 35'' tires but i dunno. Dont think ill be doing the LMC thing anymore

11. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

lmc=junk:D