Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

ball joints and the front wheel dance

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by beachinblazer, Jun 18, 2002.

1. beachinblazer

beachinblazer Registered Member

Could worn out ball joints cause a front end shimmy in the tires? Just recently my truck developed a new and exciting motion where the front tires turn quickly left and right around 35mph. I solved this problem before by adding some grease and tightening everything up. if they do need to be replaced, how long should a ball joint replacement take?

2. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

ball joints, bearings, drag link, steering box, cracked frame, etc. There are lots of things that can cause this. you might have to start at the tires and work your way through the system untill you find it. Do a search, this subject has been beaten to death. Good luck.

3. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

This has been dubbed "death wobble" here. Search for that.

4. porkchop

porkchop Registered Member

Damm thing drove me crazy only when it happened! not everyday once every few days so i replaced everything tie rods, (nothing still the same) change the ball joints uper & lower,(but they were good)did it anyways too rule them out, (nothing change) so the next sterring box(worth a shot)nothing keep in mind now 2 full weeks went by as I did all this so what the hell did the pit-man arm and yes you got it still would happen boy that was it took it to get the front end alinement told the guy the problem and that I replaced everything so he pop the tire of and said here it your problem your caliper is sticking and it's hagging up at times causing the rotor to heat up quikly a swell causing that side to hang on and off. I change that and now my problem are gone 2 weeks and nothing at least I have a totaly new front end and no more shacks hope this helps you out some what
    Hay we all need this site for something at one time or a nother

5. BowtieBlazer

BowtieBlazer 1/2 ton status

I had the same sticky caliper problem! It was indeed aggrivating!