Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Ball joints.... BALL JOINTS....

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Vetteman61, Feb 1, 2007.

1. Vetteman61

Vetteman61 Registered Member

How difficult is it to replace upper and lower ball joints? What is involved here? I've not done this before. Does anyone happen to have a web page that describes the process or steps involved, preferable with pictures?

Thanks,
    Brandon

2. jms

jms 1/2 ton status Author

Remove everything from knuckle (wheel-brakes-hub/rotor-spindle-tie rod-axle shafts). Unbolt ball joints, use spanner nut for upper; remove knuckle and clean. Remove snap ring from upper, press old joints out (Harbor Freight tool and a vise). Press new joints in, install knuckle, torque to specs; install axle shafts and bolt everything else back on.

NAPA Gold Premium ball joints are supposedly the shiznit, but they have the grease fitting in the middle of the upper joint - as in remove the axleshaft to grease ball joints. Possible to cheat by using needle zerks. I believe Moog has the grease fitting in an excentric location, make sure when you press the upper joint in you put it so that you can access the fitting without any disassembly.

Might as well do axle u-joints at the same time...

3. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

Michael's dead on in the short version. Longer versions with pix can be had by googling for, say, "Dana 44 ball joints", as 10b's and D44's are identical from the knuckles out.

http://www.pavementsucks.com/tech/balljoint.php

I had a Jeep article somewhere that, while going on about the adjustable sleeves to change castor or somesuch, covered the procedure for normal axles as well, and now I can't find it.

Anyway, 'tween that page and JMS's, you should be good.

-- A