Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Ball Joints going bad??

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by NAUBlazer, May 6, 2003.

1. NAUBlazer

NAUBlazer Registered Member

Hey everyone,
    I have a question about a clunk i'm hearing. When I'm going pretty slow and I turn the wheel(ie backing out of a parking space) I hear a little clunk coming from the wheels it feels like. It happens about half way through the steering wheel motion. Could this be my ball joints??
    Thanks for the help
    --Adam /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

2. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

Only one way to find out... jack up the truck, take the wheels off the front end. Grab your hubs and pull up and down on them, if they move, you need ball joints. I just got done doing this job. It's not too bad, it's just getting off the lower ball joint, took me 20 minutes on each with an air chisel with pickle fork attachment and lots of PB Blaster. If you end up doing them, buy the balljoints at Auto Zone, they're Perfect Circle (Dana) parts. Good luck!

3. NAUBlazer

NAUBlazer Registered Member

Thanks

4. 85 Shortbox

85 Shortbox 1/2 ton status

I found it is easier to jack it up like stated before and once the wheel is 4-6" off the ground use a board under the wheel for more leverage. This way makes it kind of a 2 man job but it will be easier to get movement this way if they are going bad. If not you don't have to d1ck with putting a tire back on. Good luck.

5. opfor2

opfor2 1/2 ton status

Also check the leaf spring "U" bolts and make sure that they are tight. My blazer clunked and I found that the bolts were loose.

Dan..

6. NITRO

NITRO 1/2 ton status

my 1 ton p/u /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gifdoes this too. it makes a clunking sound. i figured it was just because it has 12" of lift. a BB, and 39.5" MT's. i guess ill check the u bolts. i dont have ball joints, so that can't b it. hmmmmm. got me thingking now

NITRO

7. LIFSVR7

LIFSVR7 Registered Member

Well, I am not sure if oyu have manual hubs, if not, then maybe it is like mine... Check the u-joints fromthe axle to the wheel.. I have manual, and the way I found out is when I had to drive 2wd (front wd) because I blew my spider gears /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif