Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Ball joints revisited

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Rusty68, Mar 28, 2003.

1. Rusty68

Rusty68 1/2 ton status

I have a cracked knuckle so I put some new joints in another pair I had laying around. The question is about the little threaded tapered adapter looking things that you need a special wrench to pull out. Do you HAVE to replace these things? From what I can see they do not seem to wear as the joints post just sits in it?

2. Blazinaire

Blazinaire 1/2 ton status

you don't necessarily have to replace it, but you will need to back it out. When you install the balljoints torque the bottom one to 30ftlbs (just to temporarily seat them),then the castlated insert to 50ftlbs, then the top castle nut to 100ftlbs then re-torque the bottom one to 70ftlbs... I just did this the day before yesterday so I feel special with my new knowledge /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

3. chulisohombre

chulisohombre 1/2 ton status

i replaced mine when i did my ball joints.i just used a hammer and chisle on the corners to back it out and put the new ones in flush with the knuckle.just have to watch that you dont mess up the threads.i dont see that there is a reason to replace them,but i got new ones with my ball joints so i said what the heck,why not change them while im in there?