Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Ball joints, what do I need to know.

Discussion in '1983-2005 S-Series models' started by 85 Shortbox, Oct 30, 2002.

1. 85 Shortbox

85 Shortbox 1/2 ton status

Jan 24, 2002
    My 92 S10 ext cab 4x4 has 213,000 miles on it and I am planning to get rid of it in the spring, but I am noticing my ball joints on one side are pretty bad. What do I need to know about replacing them. I did the ones on my 85 1/2 ton before(of course it is a SFA), can I expect the same amount of fun? Also what about parts, can I get just the joints or does it come with the control arm and everythig?
  2. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

May 31, 2000
    You buy just the ball joints. The factory ones are riveted in place, so you have to drill the rivets out. The new ball joints come with bolts and nuts to install them with. To do mine, I jacked up the front end, then backed off the torsion bar adjuster bolt all the way, to take as much tension off the front end as possible. Just count the number of turns that you back each one off, so you can put them back to the same place when you're finished.

I put the weight of the truck on the frame, then used a floor jack to support the lower A-arm, so that things wouldn't fly apart when I removed the ball joints and released the remaining tension. Then drill out the rivets, install the new ball joints and put it all back together. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif Don't forget to put the torsion bar adjusters beack where you found them before you place the front end back on the ground. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif