Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Ball joints????

Discussion in '1992-Present Chevy & GMC models' started by az-k5, Mar 28, 2004.

1. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

Well I am a straight axle guy and need to fix my dad's 1996 k1500. The upper ball joints are shot. How are they replaced. Do I grind the rivets off and replace with bolts? Are there any special tools needed for install (goofey wrenches and such)? I am not worried about gettin it done just new to new trucks.
    Thanx in advance. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

2. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

When I replaced the ones on my S-Jimmy I just drilled out the rivets. They came out much easier than I expected them to. The new ball joints came with bolts and nuts, to replace the old rivets. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif I kept a jack under the lower A-arm, to keep the torsion bar from getting out of control.

3. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

thanks, that torsion bar would have gotten me (i forget about them a lot) sounds pretty easy compared to a D44

4. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

yes just drill or grind the heads off, i used i always grind them off myseld, but i like the spark show too, /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif anyway, definately keep a jack under the lower control arm, as soon as you pop that ball joint, it will want to drop if the jack isn't there. Have fun !! /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

5. tweaker

tweaker 1/2 ton status

be sure to replace the new hardware included in w/ the balljoints. some nice grade8 from orchard is the best thing to use with nylock nuts. i've replaced mine so many times that autozone made me buy a second set, so i could keep replacing them every 3 months free. 38's puts in alot of abuse. and my experience is to just grind the heads off the tops of the rivets and then drill the center. oh and if you get a bit off course it's ok the holes in the ball joints make great seats so just don't cut out too much of the a-arm.

6. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

Well i have yet to "drill" anything, i simply /forums/images/graemlins/grind.gif off the heads, and smack it a few times, they pop right out /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

7. 89K1500Chevy

89K1500Chevy 1/2 ton status

You did it the right way and replace the idler arm with the 3 bolt heavy duty one if your replacing all of it. I did mine like 8 months ago and its already shot so i need to pop a new one on soon