Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Ball joints

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by berg76, Apr 9, 2004.

1. berg76

berg76 1/2 ton status

Where can I find the best price on ball joint sets. I need to change all 4 joints. Around town they are pricey. $35 at autozone for just an upper joint. But I dont want the crappy kind. Any internet shops that sell them??

Thanks!
    ~Jason

2. scoutillac

scoutillac 1/2 ton status

I pay 98.00 for all four of mine. I know the manager of the parts store pretty well. Otherwise it would be almost double for Spicers.

3. mr_fujisawa

mr_fujisawa 1/2 ton status

i got the spicer joints from auto zone and it wasn't that bad. i can't remember exactly how much it came out to. but i did all four as well. man do i hate changing ball joints. good luck.

4. LlanoK5

LlanoK5 1/2 ton status

I got all four spicers at Autozone for about $70. Maybe the price is different in each state, I don't know why else there would be such a big difference.

5. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Wherever you go, get Perfect Circle (Dana/Spicer) or Moogs (Federal Mogul). Don't be a cheap ass on ball joints.

6. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

I second tim's vote for perfect circle (spicer renamed by autozone) or moog. I ran moog in my 44 and Robzilla runs spicer. We wear them out about the same (3-4 months with heavy wheeling/daily driving). $38 sounds a little hi. I think I got mine for around $111 for all four. Either way spend a little extra for a lifetime warranty so you only have to do them once a year, and for free. (if you wheel 1/2 ton you will replace ball joints regularly). Don't forget to get the little upper adjusting tool when you do them. I don't have the PN but snap-on has them on their site for $15 or so.

7. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Perfect Circle are sold everywhere. They're not an Autozone trademark. That is what Dana/Spicer calls their chassis parts just like they call their gaskets, "Victor."

8. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

Oh, neat tidbit of info. I thought they were a a-zone thing. So why does checker have mequay noris (sp), carquest have moog, and A-zone have perfect circle?

9. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    Oh, neat tidbit of info. I thought they were a a-zone thing. So why does checker have mequay noris (sp), carquest have moog, and A-zone have perfect circle?

[/ QUOTE ]

Although they share part numbers (just like brake companies do often) they're not the same part.

All three of those are different brand names.

10. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

I paid $23 each for uppers and $13 each for the lowers in the Perfect Circle brand from Autozone. I wonder why you were told $35? /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

11. berg76

berg76 1/2 ton status

For some reason autozones computer doesnt list but one ball joint (10149) for my '87. I checked the same year for a pickup and they listed a perfect circle (fa659g) for 24.99. As far as I know there is no differance... I have no intentions of getting cheap ball joints. Just the cheapest price on the good ones. Im installing some flattops for crossover steering. Im in the process of collecting parts for the job now. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif High steer in going on now because of a couple weekends ago. Trashed my tie rod on the first rock ledge we came to. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

~Jason

12. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

Hi-steer and rocks will make you real good at changing ball joints (I had to do mine every 4 months for the last year and a half). Ya the pick up version is the same.

Tim, I know that MN, PC, & moog are different brand names, what I was trying to get at (apperantly vaguely after I re-read my post) is why have I not seen the PC (perfect circle) parts anywhere else but A-zone. I'm not arguing you are the parts guy, I am just curious.

13. Fubeca

Fubeca 1/2 ton status

I got my PC ball joints at Pep Girls - less than $100 for all four.

14. therobzilla

therobzilla 1/2 ton status

Welcome to 1/2 ton stuff, like Matt said, if you run 1/2 ton gear, and wheel hard, you will become very familiar with changing ball joints on your D44. It's just one of thoese things. I have used Spicer from the start, and they are about the best they offer. Bought mine from Autozone and have the lifetime deal. I have two sets of them, the set in the truck and an old set of uppers and lowers, when the Death Wobble come a knocking, I zip down to Autozone and give them my receipt and old set and head home to change. It now takes me about 2 hours to change both sides.

Best bet is to get a ball joint tool cheap and have it handy. I use antisieze on the joints once I remove the retaining clip on the top joints I can drive them out with a hammer, don't even need the tool anymore.

It's just what happens when you wheel 1/2 ton stuff. It's really hard on the ball joints.

As a side note: ALWAYS CARRY A SPARE UPPER AND LOWER BALL JOINT ON THE TRAIL. It will destroy a lot of things if you break a joint and try to bootie fab and wheel your way out of the trail it will tear @hit up.

Good luck.

Rob