Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Ball Joints

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by k5freak44, Jun 11, 2004.

1. k5freak44

k5freak44 1/2 ton status

I went to replace my ball joints in my 91 k5 today and i cant figure out where to start. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif Can some one help a kid out and tell me exactly how to do it? Thanks!

2. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

1. Remove locking hub dial
    2. Remove small & large snaprings to remove inner hub body.
    3. Remove inner $ outer spindle lock nut (special socket required, can be rented at Azone, CSK, etc)
    4. Remove brake caliper (need 3/8" allen key)
    5. Remove brake rotor & hub assembly
    6. remove spindle bolts
    7. Remove brake backing plate
    8. Remove spindle
    9. Remove axleshaft
    10. Remove ball joint nuts
    11. Use ball joint seperator (can be rented too) and a large hammer to seperate knuckle from the axle C.
    12. Press balljoints out of knuckles, press new ones in. (press might be rentable or Harbor Freight has them for $40)
    13. Remove ball joint adjustor sleeve from upper C in axle. (need special socket might be rentalble. Or you can ghetto rig it. Take 13/16" socket I think it is and use an angle grinder to cut it down to fit the adjustor sleeve)
    14. reinstall knuckle with new greased ball joints & torque to spec.
    15. Install new adjustor sleeve & torque to spec.
    16. Reinstall axleshaft (might be a good time to replace the axle ujoint while your in there)
    17. reinstall spindle then backing plate. Use lock tight on spindle bolts & torque to spec. (grease spindle bearing before reinstall)
    18. reinstall rotor & hub assembly (grease wheel bearings)
    19. reinstall spindle locknuts (proper install can be read in Chiliton's at autoparts store.
    20. Reinstall inner hub, snaprings, outerhub, and caliper

Harley

3. k5freak44

k5freak44 1/2 ton status

thx man

4. spearchucker

spearchucker 1/2 ton status

5. Scuba Steve

Scuba Steve Registered Member

If you dont want to bye a ball joint press you can take it to a machine shop and have them do it. When I did the first knuckle it cost me $12 to have them done. When I did the other knuckle I had bought a press from harbor freight. I say bye the press but you are also going to need a vise attached to a real sturdy table so you can wrench down on it. The spindle can also be a real pain to get off because most of the time it is rusted on. A piece of wood and a BFH helps with a little heat, just be careful of the threads. While you are in there go ahead and change the u-joints on the axle and all of the seals and barings to include the ones inside the spindle. Have fun /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

6. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Rust, whats that? /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif I use the impact gun on mine to get my balljoints out with the HF press. I just hold the clamp in my hand and let the impact go to town.

Harley