Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Ball Joints

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BUSCO, Mar 4, 2001.

1. BUSCO

BUSCO Registered Member

Any suggestions on what ball joints hold up the best for Blazers with 6 to 8 inches of lift? Tried MOOG but had to replace two within 6 months.

Thanks

2. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

I have gotten by fine with Car Quest joints. As long as they were greased, they were fine.

3. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch 1/2 ton status

If you blew out Moogs or really any other name brand b-jt in a couple months you have other problems. Moogs also have a warranty (lifetime I believe) We have pulled them out after a car smacks a curb and breaks a Tierod end or if some idiot hooks it w/ a tow rope and it breaks. Never had any problems w/ our supplier taking them back. You running wheel spacers? Install them correctly (aka follow the instructions inclosed in the box not what you buddy says) ? Is the caster/chamber/alignment been done? Runnning shims in front?

1987 Chevy K5 Blazer- 350 TBI

4. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

Did you set the preload on them? they will wear out very fast if you don't.

90K5

See my truck at <A target="_blank" HREF=http://albums.photopoint.com/j/Albumindex?u=1329584&a=9886502>http://albums.photopoint.com/j/Albumindex?u=1329584&a=9886502</A>

5. BlazerBoy

BlazerBoy 1/2 ton status

6. Executioner

Executioner 1/2 ton status

Temp. Ft. Walton Beach Fl. home=Tucson, Az.
    With a torque wench and a spanner socket.

7. Blazer79

Blazer79 1/2 ton status

Could someone explain this in more detail? I will soon replace my ball-joints and want to do it right.

<font color=blue>//////
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://blazer79.coloradok5.com>http://blazer79.coloradok5.com</A>
    </font color=blue>[​IMG]

8. SuperUnknown

SuperUnknown 1/2 ton status

I am also interested in the payload setting. I just got some new moog tierod ends today, and I don't want to screw them up. I thought you could just greas them up and slap them on.

[​IMG]I spend more time under my truck then I do in it.[​IMG]

9. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

Lift it, take the wheel off, and remove the steering arm tie-rod (use a Big F%@&ing Hammer). Attach a spring scale to the hole in the steering arm and record the pull required to keep the knuckle assembly turning after starting from the initial straight ahead position. The pull should be between 20 and 25 lbs in either direction. Adjust the balljoint by removing the upper balljoint stud nut and turning the adjusting sleeve. Reinstall the nut and tighten it to 50 ft-lbs. Than put everything back. This has all been plagiarized from a Haynes manual. Maybe you should buy one. lol