Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

ball joints

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by the fall guy, Jun 14, 2005.

1. the fall guy

the fall guy Registered Member

I need to change my ball joints and I've pulled the rotors hubs all off before my question is when i take the axles out do they pull out or do i have to open the diff.
    Nick

2. 88sub4x4

88sub4x4 1/2 ton status

No need to pull the diff. apart. The axle halfs just pull out. Just be careful not to mess up the seals when you put the axle's back in.

3. the fall guy

the fall guy Registered Member

I figured i would replace the seals while i have everything apart. Thanks for the info

4. 88sub4x4

88sub4x4 1/2 ton status

If you want to change the axle seals then you will have to pull the diff cover and remove the carrier. The seals are installed from inside the diff housing.

5. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

What was said before is correct...in order to replace the inner axle seals on the front axle you must remove the carrier after the axles are pulled honestly if you want to do them now is the time to do it since the axles need to come out anyways for the ball joint job.

Chris