Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

ball joints

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by solowookie, Jun 11, 2001.

1. solowookie

solowookie 1/2 ton status

Hey,

How hard are ball joints??? it this something that I would dare try myself???

[​IMG] <font color=blue> Jeff </font color=blue> [​IMG]

2. FRIZZLEFRY

FRIZZLEFRY 1/2 ton status

I bought new ball joints at NAPA ,pulled the knuckles off ,and took everything to a shop across from where I work so they could press out the old and press the new ones in.The whole thing was easier than I thought.

All work and no beer makes Frizz a dull boy

3. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

If your halfway mechanical its not too hard. I agree with FRIZZLEFRY, take the knuckles out and let a machine shop press them out and in. JEEEEEEZIS what a pain the ass THAT was! Basically once the rotor is off you pull the spindle and backing plate. Remove your tie rod and drag link, dunno if you HAFTA remnove the steering arm. And beat the living daylight out of the old joints til they pop out! thats the fun part. I meant to take step by step pics to post but I was way into the job when I remembered to do it. Good luck!

"My blazer may be slow, but it goes faster at higher speeds"

Jim

4. Executioner

Executioner 1/2 ton status

Temp. Ft. Walton Beach Fl. home=Tucson, Az.
    FYI, Tip......
    Understand the meaning of "Upper Ball-Joint Pre-load"
    I feel good

5. ftn96

ftn96 1/2 ton status

Go here to give yourself a good familiarization.
    http://www.nashvillek5.freeservers.com

6. CV202

CV202 1/2 ton status

I just spent the last six day's fighting with the one's on mine. Just couldn't them to let loose, and to make matter's worse, couldn't remove the knuckle. Just gave up on it tonite and dropped it off at the local shop.

Why do people keep calling it a Bronco!!!!! [​IMG]

7. taterblazer

taterblazer 1/2 ton status

Did mine a while back. Not to bad but you need a ball joint tool called the 3 in 1 at harbor freight for 40$ or something equivilent, air wrench and a big socket? can't remember the size but I could only find it in 3/4.

8. solowookie

hey guys thanks a ton for the tips and the info. I had another mechanic look at the ball joints (the one who did my lift) and he said they didn't look very bad to him. It doesn't really have any play in the front end either.

I'm still going to replace these, but I'm gonna wait a few months until I replace the axle shafts; then I'll replace everything at the same time.

9. 2Dogs

2Dogs 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Solo,
    I think I remember seeing the post about your rig is moving under its own power....? What diff/steering you running? Still using swaybar?
    Also can you repost the link for your pictures?
    Thanks

Dave

"Visualize Whirled Peas"

10. CV202

CV202 1/2 ton status

If you go to the parts store and grab a 34mm axle nut socket, it'll fit on that ball joint nut. And it's 1/2" drive.

Why do people keep calling it a Bronco!!!!! [​IMG]

11. elkboy

elkboy 1/2 ton status

If you have an impact wrench and a ball joint press it's not bad ( and a BFH to break the knuckle loose). I bought an OTC press and did my 3/4 ton Furd this weekend. I figure I will use the press in the future and it makes a killer u-joint press. If you can repack your own wheel bearings you can do ball joints.

<font color=red> Elkboy </font color=red> 82 K5 fuel injected H.O.305, TH350/205, 14bolt/10bolt and 39.5 TSL's.

12. solowookie

oh yea it's moving under its own power! way sweet! I reinstalled the swaybar, and I'm waiting for my disconnect/correction kit from ORD.

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.vtengineering.com/blazer-side.JPG>http://www.vtengineering.com/blazer-side.JPG</A>

13. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

Been gone for awhile. How is the beast? Are you running the 14-bolt and 44? What did you decide to do for the brake line dent? How did everything go togather? Why is the sky blue?

%Twiztid

14. solowookie

beast is doing REAL well... and oh yea I'm running the axles I got from you [​IMG] rear disk breaks converstion and everything [​IMG]

right now I'm just running it with the dent as is. the first time I've really driven it since that happend was today. I went to SLC to pick up a small trailer, and it seems to be pulling to one side when I break, however, very slightly.

I think I'm gonna let the breaks set in a little, and if it's still going on I'll replace it. I've worked a LOT with hydralics, and I don't think it is hurt structurally. I'll keep ya posted, now there are no blue sky [​IMG]

15. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Yep, do what FRIZZLEFRY said, take them to a shop and have them press the joints in the knuckles. Its worth the time and trouble to have someone else do this.

<font color=red>I m so we Todd did.
    I m sofa king we Todd did.</font color=red>