Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

ball joints

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 2High4U, Dec 8, 2005.

1. 2High4U

2High4U 1/2 ton status

Does anyone know if the factory ball joints on my 73 blazer are pressed in or can i get them out with a fork?

2. 73k5blazer

73k5blazer Unplug the matrix cable from the back of your head Premium Member

They are pressed in, they come out easy with the ball joint remover tool. (Looks like a giant C-Clamp). I think the tool is available at autozone or the like through their free rentals, and I know most rental tool places have it too. It was like $75 to buy.

3. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

4. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

My Autozone had the tool, but not the 4x4 adapters. It didn't work well, and using my impact wrench broke the clamp.

5. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

IIRC they are all pressed in. I use the cheap harbor freight tool(for everything). I have to file the threads on it every once in a while.

6. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

need pics. i have never seen a broken b/j press from impact gun use. wow.

7. MuddQueenK5

MuddQueenK5 Registered Member

I just recently did mine last night. The C-Clamp method and mini sledge hammer method did not work at all for me. I had to go to my local car place and get them pressed out.

8. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

I don't have any pics, I just put it all back in the box and returned it to the Zone to get my deposit back. It didn't have the correct adapters, so I just let the end of the clamp touch the knuckle, but it wasn't square and broke some of the end off and cracked it. It wasn't break-in-half type carnage though.

9. chasone64

chasone64 Registered Member

Same here & it works...

Last edited: Dec 10, 2005
  10. spearchucker

spearchucker 1/2 ton status

Not done from a impact gun but by hand. This is one of those b/j presses from Harbor Freight after about a half dozen uses. :rolleyes:

Image022.jpg

Image023.jpg

11. 2High4U

2High4U 1/2 ton status

wow that is interesting never seen one of those break!

12. mountainexplorer

mountainexplorer 1/2 ton status

So if you are able to take balljoints out and put new ones in with just a hammer and a pipe wrench, what does that mean?

I was expecting to need a special clamp or press too, but somehow made it work with limited tools. Was I just lucky?

13. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

lucky...??

I've changed many sets of 4X4 ball joints..I have a crude homebuilt "press" thats just a rectangular square tubing frame made of tubing and two 3/4 threaded rods I can but a bottle jack in..but I only used it on cars and 2wd trucks a few times so far..most times they pop right out with a few blows from the BFH..they aren't a real tight press fit in most cases..even when I did use my "press",I only used muffler adapters as spacers to push the ball joints out,and they didn't even squash any..

I've always been able to use my BFH and a pipe to get them in and out on 4x4's..so far anyway..have to use disgression when installing the new ones,don't beat the P*** out of them,and make sure they go in straight,and they will go right in..a little grease helps them slide in easier..that fancy tool is nice if you can afford a good one,like an "OTC" tool one,or Snap-On..don't waste money on China crap!..:crazy: