Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Ball joints

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Chrisblazzer89, Oct 19, 2006.

1. Chrisblazzer89

Chrisblazzer89 1/2 ton status

I need to replace my front ball joints upper and lower.:( Do u guys recommend me doing them myself or should I send it out to get done?:confused:

2. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

When the motto of the place is "Built, not bought" we're gonna tell you to DIY.

You will need the magic hub tool as well as the magic adjuster tool, and a press or a BFH.

In other words, it's not for the faint of heart... but it's cheaper to DIY, even if you buy the tools, and it's fun. Really.

-- A

3. makovai

makovai 1/2 ton status

Well i got a quote do have (1) upper done and it was $200 so i decided to go 3/4 ton conversion instead.:laugh:

Sounds kinda funny but i really did. I wanted to convert anyway it just made up my mind.

Anyway if you have pickle forks, a big sledge hammer, hub wrecnch, and a few other toys, i found it to be rather easy. of course i did it with the axle out of the truck which helps. Getting them back in is a bigger deal, a pain in the rear, and no fun.

4. BizeeB65

BizeeB65 1/2 ton status

do it yourself. get a buddy with access to a press, and its a cakewalk.

PS- use the search feature.

5. Moody

Moody 1/2 ton status

I would say do it yourself....I just got done doing mine this week. Other than getting the lower portion of the knuckles off (ended up using a torch and BFH) it was pretty easy. You can get the pickle forks and ball joint C-clamp at Autozone by putting down a depsoit and you get it back when you return the tools. I also had the axle out of the truck which made it much easier to swing the BFH:D

6. 73k5blazer

73k5blazer Unplug the matrix cable from the back of your head Premium Member

Get yourself one of these:

[​IMG]

I paid $80 for mine. Make's ball joints a breeze.
    They work great for U-Joints as well!

7. NEK5

NEK5 3/4 ton status Premium Member

X2, my buddys dad has that set, works great, we just used it this past week to change the axle joints and ball joints....buy some moogs and throw them in there man!

8. Cajun4x4

Cajun4x4 1/2 ton status

i tried removining the ones out of my flat tops with a press and it was just bending the knuckle :doah:

9. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator Vendor GMOTM Winner Author

Do it yourself with some help. I did everything but press the ball joints in. I took it to a mechanic and they pressed out the old, pressed in the new for $45. Worth it in my mind for the time it would have taken me and the piece of mind knowing they are fully seated.

I have something for sale her on CK5 that might interest you: http://coloradok5.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1706948#post1706948 :wink1: You'll need it to do the new ball joints. :deal: