Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Ball Joints

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by bouncytruck, Jul 11, 2002.

1. bouncytruck

bouncytruck 1/2 ton status

My upper driver's side ball joint is shot. I have most of the front end appart but I can't get the nut off the top of the ball joint. The problem is, the ball joint is spinning freely so I can't break the nut free. Does anyone have any ideas how to fix this.

Here's a quick illustration of my problem. I thought about grinding the nut off, but I don't have a grinder. I also thought about drilling into it but if it is hardened steel, that probably won't work either. I tried wedging a pickle fork in there but it would still spin.

[​IMG]

2. Mobile_Mechanic

Mobile_Mechanic Registered Member

Try to split the nut with a chisel. Hit down from the top in between the raised portions. Or try to get a hacksaw or sawzall under the nut to cut the stud off.

3. cegusman

cegusman 3/4 ton status

Put a floor jack under the knucle and jack it up untill it allmost starts to lift the truck, then try the nut, it shold not spin any more.

4. rampage

rampage 1/2 ton status

Like MM mentioned, if you have a sawzall try cutting the stud or if there isn't enough room you could also cut straight down through the stud and nut (cutting the nut in half) being careful not to cut into the yoke.
    BTW: have you used lots of penetrating oil and let it soak in?

5. bouncytruck

I've got lots of WD40 on it. is there something better for this situation than that?

6. rampage

rampage 1/2 ton status

I think it's called PB Blaster, people on here swear by it. I don't think it will solve your problem from what you describe but it may be worth a shot.
    So do you have access to a sawzall?

7. bouncytruck

I'll look for it. I have access to an angle grinder.

8. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

jack it up and try it like cegusman said. that usually works. puts the tension back on it

9. ftn96

ftn96 1/2 ton status

PB Blaster ROCKS! Spray it on there. Let it set in. Place jack under the knuckle pushing up on it till it starts to jack the truck up. Then use and impact and it should come right off. The saws-all should be your last option. That ball joint stud "aint" gonna cut like like butter even with lots of new blades on the saws-all. You may even have to hit the impact on the tighten it up side a bump or 2 and then back to reverse. This will often help break the crud loose. The PB Blaster will help tremendously if you give it time to do its deed! /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

Good Luck!

10. arq

arq 1/2 ton status

wd40, pbblaster, or even butter wont work if the threads are thrashed. jack the knuckle up to put some tension on it. it should help... I've seen some balljoints with a slight wedge on the top, you could probably use a big flat screw driver with a wrench to take out the nut. worse comes to worse try and split the nut in half with a chissel.

ARQ.

11. bouncytruck

I got some pb blaster last night and put on a healthy coat. I'll try the jack method tonight. If that doesn't work, I'm going for the grinder!

12. rampage

rampage 1/2 ton status

BTW: the grinder shouldn't take more than 15 mins so don't waste too much time with the other method. Besides, it will make it a little easier to pop the lower ball joint loose with the pickle fork if you cut the top one.

13. ntaj*ep

ntaj*ep 1/2 ton status

Are you using hand tools or power? I usually have issues with those nuts when I use hand tools. If you need anything let me know. Hope it breaks loose for ya. I have used nut splitters before they work pretty well. But if you cut just one flat off the nut it should come right off with a socket or wrench. Good luck!

14. bouncytruck

I'm gonna try the grinder and cut one side off the nut. That should allow it to break free. I haven't even tied the lower ball joint yet but it seems tight so I shouldn't have this problem with it. I don't have much in the way of power tools so I'm stuck with the manual tools. /forums/images/icons/mad.gif

15. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

Proper way to remove those is with a pickle wedged in. Course, this often dammages the rubber boot (not that we care in this particular example.

You could however, use an impact gun. It will come off real fast, as the impacting action uses the differential in momentum between the nut and the shaft to get itself loose. Same thing happened to me the first time I tried to do one. Pickle didnt help for squat. After that... I bought my compressor and impact gun. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

16. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

had same problem and used a puller or a big c-clamp to clamp the two pieces together (knuckle and ears on axle tube). This puts pressure onto the ball joint and keeps it from spinning freely. Once you loosen it initially it releases pressure on the ball joint, so clamping it is like tightening the nut without actually doing it. Have used this method a few times. Puller works the best.

What I said probably makes no sense, kinda late to write clear replies /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

17. uglychevyZZ4

uglychevyZZ4 3/4 ton status

wheres bothel? im in federal way, and could come yank it off for ya. e mail me .

18. bouncytruck

A grinder did the trick. I just took one side of the nut off with the grinder and then hit it with a BFH. This knocked it loose enough that I was able to hold the ball joint with a vice grip and remove the nut. The new ball joint came with a new nut so all is good.

Bothel is North East of Seattle, on the other side of Lake Washington. Thanks for the offer.