Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Ball Joints

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Cornfed-90K5, Sep 15, 2000.

1. Cornfed-90K5

Cornfed-90K5 Registered Member

How short has anyone had a set of ball joints last? I installed a set in April, and I put new tires on last week so I thought it would be a good idea to have it aligned. The shop siad it couldn't be aligned because the balljoints were shot. I didn't believe them so I made them show me, and man they had more play than the set I changed only four months ago. I have heard that you can adjust balljoints if that is true please let me kow if this will get rid of the play. Otherwise I guess I will have to change them out again(not looking forward to that).

Cornfed-90K5
    1990 K5 Blazer
    1977 Jeep CJ5

2. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

There's Autozone balljoints and then there's quality balljoints. I think that makes a bit of difference. Not sure of your circumstances.
    -- Mike

3. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

Hey now! I am using the Auto Zone Ball joints and have had them in my rig for about 2 years now with only aving to retighten them once.(the nut and not the actual ball joint)

Mike [​IMG]
    See <font color=green>EMMETT</font color=green> -&gt; http://emmett.coloradok5.com

4. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

Uhh, let's see. I had some that lasted 120,000 miles. I guess that I haven't heard of very many people replacing them more than once. This is a good thing since nobody really wants to do it a second time.

'85 JIMMY
    '90 paint/grill/trim 5"susp 33/12.5/16.5
    Fresh 350 B&M '87 TH700

5. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

I bought a set of Autozone upper and lower balljoints for my 44, but I never put them on because I've heard of them wearing out rapidly.
    You really have no problems?
    BTW, I ended up swapping a different front axle (with newer balljoints) on so the issue got put on the backburner.
    -- Mike

6. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

I have always run Zone ball joints and so are most of my friends... No problems yet and we have all been runnig them for at least 5 years..

Mike [​IMG]
    See <font color=green>EMMETT</font color=green> -&gt; http://emmett.coloradok5.com

7. turbo

turbo 1/2 ton status

The upper includes a adjustable sleve that the ball hoint mounts in.
    If the old one is warn it needs replaced when ball joint is replaced.
    The moog upper comes with the sleeve.

8. keith

keith 1/2 ton status

I put the auto Zone ones in mine and they are lifetime warrenty. Take them out and they give you new ones no questions. I have done this once already and thats because I switched knucles from 10 bolt to 44 for the cross-over.

9. 6.2 man

6.2 man 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I was also wondering about that collar ? If it isn't torqued down just right it will let everything move around .

10. hpfire7227

hpfire7227 Registered Member

I just had mine done a few months ago, and my truck went from a severe / \ look to a severe \ / look (/\= front tires viewed from the front). Now the outer edges of my brand new BFG's are getting smoothed out because my ball joints are "too new". The camber/ caster whatever was way too over-compensated for. It's a no win situation sometimes.

10 BOLTS O' FUN

11. bart

bart Registered Member

The upper ball joint mount is threaded for a preload collar that screws in...the spec is to torque this to 55 lb-ft with the joint installed...you may have it too loose (hoepfully) or too tight (get a new upper joint).
    If this collar was not set properly, that would explain the accelerated failure of the joint.

Bart

12. Peeetah

Peeetah Registered Member

Bit Off Topic

Autozone??? Never seen one here in California. Is it an east coast chain? midwest? southern chain?? All we have is Kragen, Pepgirls and Napa.

13. Blue85

Lifetime Warranty? Who cares? The joint sells for less than $20. What I don't want to have to do is to tear half of the front end apart to change a joint that should have lasted longer. A useful warranty would be to have someone come out to your place and change it for you if it goes bad. But then again, who would let one of the guys from Autozone wrench on their truck?

'85 JIMMY
    Fresh 350 B&M '87 TH700

14. White Knight

White Knight 1/2 ton status

I wheel with a guy who works at Auto Zone, and I'll wait to have him help me, he could wrench my rig whenever he wants! Ya know there are some people who enjoy working at a Parts store..not because they are too dumb to do anything else..
    I hope that nobody recognizes you next time you're in a auto parts store I could see you getting the wrong parts about 3 x's in a row!!!!!!! [​IMG]

<font color=blue>White Knight</font color=blue>

15. sosamantx

sosamantx 1/2 ton status

<font color=blue>Uhhhh Huhhhhh, Excuse me but I work at Autozone (part-time that is), at my real job, I am an electronic technician. It's people with attitudes like you that seem to stereotype, or put people in different catagories. I have seen good and bad at all places (restaurants, autoparts, department stores, etc.). Just because you might have had a bad experience at a place doesn't mean they are all bad. Then again maybe they know who they are dealing with. I may not be a rocket scientist, but I have about 17 years experience working on my own vehicles as well as some of my friends. - Steve</font color=blue>

<font color=blue>Steve Sosa a.k.a. "sosaman"</font color=blue>
    http://sosaman.home.texas.net/carpics.html

16. turbo

turbo 1/2 ton status

Don't know about your area but here auto zone has best prices but no shop pep boys tuns 20% higher for parts and has shop.
    Pep boys has messed up more 300ZX then any place I know of.
    Their favorite trick is to crush the unibody boxed section under the car with their power lifts.

17. Executioner

Executioner 1/2 ton status

Temp. Ft. Walton Beach Fl. home=Tucson, Az.
    Bingo !!!
    FYI Snap-On has the spanner socket for the slevee.
    This is way everyone reads the instructions ?
    And if you have a grease fitting on the upper ball-joint whach out !

18. Blue85

Whoah, sorry. I guess I have to be more careful with what I say. BUT, can you please show me where I said that people from Autozone are stupid? You can't, because I didn't. My actual attitude is that nobody cares about my truck being done right except for me. I've had more screwups to my vehicles in shops than anywhere else. There is only one guy who knows the history and set-up of my specific vehicle. That is just a fact and intended as nothing more.

As for my experience with Car parts stores, I find that usually half of the people don't know any more about cars than the average guy on the street, but they try to make you think that they do. These are the guys that try to sell you parts for an S-10 Blazer because they're "all the same" or something. The other half or so of the employess have experience working on cars and among them some are quite knowledgeable. I often ask questions to these guys and use some of their experience when working on projects.
    I don't see any differences in these things from chain to chain, I just happened to type Autozone since it has been referred to specifically throughout this thread..

To sosaman,
    I have a couple of comments:
    "It's people with attitudes like you that seem to stereotype, or put people in different catagories." This statement is an oxymoron, since it stereotypes me, which is sort of funny.

"Then again maybe they know who they are dealing with." Ouch! You're entitled to think anything that you want, but I don't think that you know me very well. Actually, who they are dealing with is a paying customer. Most of the guys at a few of my favorite parts stores know me by name and ask me about my projects and stuff when I come in. Just yesterday, in fact, I spent about an hour talking to a guy at Autozone about Chevy axles and stuff. I really don't think that any of them feel the animosity towards me to give me the wrong parts on purpose. Actually, I hope that nobody in any store would purposefully give the wrong parts to anybody. If so, my previous post was actually way too kind.

'85 JIMMY
    Fresh 350 B&M '87 TH700

19. tom

tom 1/2 ton status

Yeah, the upper ball joint does have a grease fitting, but how do you get at it. It is in the middle and just barely misses the knuckle u-joint. It there a special grease tool? I don't think I'm gonna pull the axle shafts to grease it.

20. Blue85

Yeah, you have to take the zerk off after greasing it after installation, then put in the blank zerk that doesn't have a fitting on it before installing the axleshaft. That is to make room inside the knuckle for the U-joint to spin. If you ever need to grease it again, you will have to take the axleshaft out to put the zerk back in. It might work to get a grease gun "needle" inside the edge of the rubber boot and fill it with grease that way.

'85 JIMMY
    Fresh 350 B&M '87 TH700