Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Ball Joints

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by jimmyjack, Sep 17, 2000.

1. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

Is there a definate indication that ball joints are bad? Vibration, wandering, alignment? My front end "feels" tight but whenever I go over a substantial bump I get two loud pops. I got in there and trying shaking the draglink and the steering arm but they felt solid. Haven't jacked it up yet to shake the wheel around yet though.....
    Given I have to change my ball joints, how long does it take? (best case scenario)I have all the tools and can figure out pretty much how to do the job, I've just never done it before. I appreciate the help as always!

creepin' and crawlin'

Jim

2. sosamantx

sosamantx 1/2 ton status

<font color=blue>I am not exactly sure how to check them, but I would allow plenty of time to change them, as you always run into problems. I just recently had to change the spindles on my Nova and of course that means that you have to take loose both ball joints. If they have never been changed then you might have to drill out or cut off the rivets that hold in most stock ball joints. If they have been changed then it is fairly easy. I just jacked up the vehicle from the bumper, took off the tire, and put a small hydraulic jack underneath the lower a-arm (where the lower part of the shock mounts), where it is touching it snug. I tried to do them both at once (took off both nuts off the upper and lower ball joints), however I had to reconnect the lower so that the spring would help out when I pounded on the spindle. The lower in both cases just popped off and I had to reconnect everything, I used the jack to reconnect them. I think that I spent more than an hour doing the first side and about 20- 30 minutes doing the second side, however I did not actually change them this time, more than likely the hardest part will be breaking them off of the spindles. - Steve</font color=blue>

<font color=blue>Steve Sosa a.k.a. "sosaman"</font color=blue>
    http://sosaman.home.texas.net/carpics.html

3. MA87K5

MA87K5 1/2 ton status

Changing out the ball joints should take a couple of hours per side. There isn't any rivets to drill out though. I think that it is alot easier then changing them on a non 4x4. There is no spring pressure on the ball joints. If you have air tools then you are going to be happy. After you put the ball joints on the spindle and connected to the axle housing and bolted down, grease the upper joint before you put the axle in. Because the grease fitting will hit knuckle on the axle. The ball joint should come with a plug to take place of the fitting after it is greased. The job isn,t all that hard. Hope I helped any.

4. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

Well lets see, nope,..... no air. I borrowed a compressor once. Wow what a difference. I can't say if these are the original ball joints. I've had the blazer for 9 yrs and I've never changed them. So I'm sure it'll be a bear! Thanks for the "heads ups".

creepin' and crawlin'

Jim