Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

ball joints

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 88k5blaza, Dec 2, 2002.

1. 88k5blaza

88k5blaza Registered Member

i was under my truck inspecting all the tie rods because of some steering problems ive been having and realized that ive never greased my upper ball joints but they have a plug in them not a grese fitting and i was wondering if that could be my steering problem thats cuasing it to drift and not return right and always wanting to pull whatever way i turned last and was wondering how to grease those upper ball joints?

2. The upper ball joints don't have a zerk fitting because it'll bust off when you use 4 wheel drive, the axle yokes will hit it. You need to remove the plug that's in there and put in a zerk fitting when you need to grease it, at least that's the way it is on mine. If you need to replace the ball joints, and I recommend you do both upper and lower at the same time, then refer to ftn96's write-up.

3. outlaw612

outlaw612 1/2 ton status

Rockn is correct. If you leave a zert in the upper jounts, they would get broke off. You have to remove the plug and use an angled zert to grease it then replace the plug.

4. 88k5blaza

88k5blaza Registered Member

cool thanks guys i wasnt sure if that plug could be removed or it was jsut part of the ball joint but thats what i thought i would do so thanks for the imput!

5. ti.user

ti.user Registered Member

let me know if this cures the "pulls the way i turned last problem"

6. COCHEV

COCHEV 1/2 ton status

it did on mine. had the same problem- would not return to center and would steer in the direction i last corrected. greesed them balljoints up and it went away.

7. I replaced my ball joints last year with Moog brand, and the zerk is on the inside of the knuckle, not on top. If you ever replace yours, I recommend these. They are heavy duty, and around $20 each.

8. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

i replaced mine with moogs and the zerk is inside the knuckle, but the shafts have never hit it.