Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Ball Joints?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by ShinnyHelmet, Nov 4, 2000.

1. ShinnyHelmet

ShinnyHelmet Registered Member

71'K5- When I turn my tires to the left and to the right i hear a clunk sound ( kinda like steel snapping). I recently replaced the powersteering box (leaking), Steering connecting rod, steering column and front locking hubs...all work that needed to be done anyway, also hoping that would correct the noise i have been hearing.... I still hear the noise...Is it the Balljoints or tie rodd? I read a very helpfull RE: from "Wheels" on 10/30/00 about the replacement of the ball joints. I thought about taking it to a specialty 4x4 shop here in Sacramento (G12) to see what it is, but if i can do it myself i will...thanks

2. 89Jimmy

89Jimmy 1/2 ton status

If you can jack the front of your truck from the frame, so a front tire comes off the ground an inch or so. Put a bar under the tire and wiggle the tire up and down. Have some one watch the ball joint. Any movement between the parts of the ball joint itself is a bad thing. At least you'll know for sure if they are your problem. The key thing is to not jack under the axle. The axle must be hanging free on the spring. Good luck.
    John

So Much to do, So LITTLE cash.

3. 6.2 man

6.2 man 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I had the same problem with a truck . I disconnected the tie rod from the left side and turned wheel and the right one made a heck of a racket . Couldn't find any play or nothing replaced it and noise went away . Simple job too do I can give you some tool numbers from Napa so you can buy the spanner wrench for the collar .