Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Ball Joints

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by GQ 350, Jul 4, 2003.

1. GQ 350

GQ 350 Registered Member

In the past 5 years i have had to replace the ball joints on my 1980 3/4 ton Chevy pick-up 3 times, it has a corp. 10 bolt (3/4 ton) 8 stud in the front. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif I dont run that big of tire a 295/75R16(33"x11.5) for the las t 3 years, and now a 315/75R16(35"x12.5) both an a stock offset rim. Has any one had the same problem ? I have also been using the good (or so I thought) ball joints ........." Moog" (greasable) /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif But I think I will be going with the new Spicer ones or the GM's. If anyone has had this problem, or knows how to correct it your help will be appricated. thanx /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif <font color="blue"> </font>

2. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

just replacing ball joints? what kind of shape are your shocks in? need to make sure the whole front end is in good shape...are you keeping them greased every 2-3k miles? more if you wheel it...

3. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

Do you have the ball joint preload set correctly? How often do you check/adjust it?

4. rcpilot

rcpilot 1/2 ton status

When I was getting ready to replace mine I talked to one of my local Axle/Drivetrain shops, "Border Parts", located in Spring Valley, Ca (619)461-0075, The owner told me that the autoparts store brands, ie, Moog/McQuay Norris wouldn't hold up to other than average 4X'ing.. He only sells the "Spicer Ball Joint Kit". Each kit came with upper and lower balljoints and the adjusting sleeve. I paid $45.00 per side.. about &amp;30.00 more than buying the autoparts store brands... They are heavy duty /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif If ya can't find them near you let me know and I can pick a set up for you...

5. Bob87Burb

Bob87Burb 1/2 ton status

That's actually a pretty good price for upper/lower/sleeve. I just paid about $20 each for Perfect Circle joints. Too bad they're already in or I'd take you up on the offer. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

6. Steve_87K5

Steve_87K5 1/2 ton status

I just put in a set of Moogs. Should I retorque the sleeves after they've been in a while? IIRC, I set them to 70 ft lb.
    Whats best way to set sleeve tightness?

7. GQ 350

GQ 350 Registered Member

Thanx for the replies guys. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif
    My front end has been checked out and everything is in good working order, I grease the whole truck once every 1 to 2 months about 2,000 to 3,000 km. I think that the Spicer ball joints are the way to go though, or the GM originals (very hard to get) they are even more money than the Spicers. They lasted for 16 years in my truck from the day my Dad bought it, and was checked out yearly. Even though I 'm going to go for the Spicers this time.
    Thanx for your help Guys /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif

8. arq

arq 1/2 ton status

you have to torque the bottom to 80ftlbs,
    then torque the sleeve to 50ftlbs,
    then torque the top to 100ftlbs.

i always retorque the bottom, remove the top and retorque the sleeve, then torque the top again.

first time i ever changed them i did not torque the sleeves correctly. i went throught the ball joints in about 3months with 31" tires. i replaced the balls joints with the same brand and havn't had any problems as of today.

ARQ.

9. Steve_87K5

Steve_87K5 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the info. I need to retorqe! Got about 2000mi on them so far. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gifwas all over the road before I changed them.