Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

ball joints

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Greenie, Aug 6, 2003.

1. Greenie

Greenie Registered Member

I just had a shop put upper and lower ball joints in my 89.
    They put a grease fitting in the lower, easy to do, but they did not put one in the upper. It looks kind of close in there. It would need a 90 degree fitting. Are the replacement ball joints sealed or do they need grease?

2. Bushwhacker

Bushwhacker 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Most have a plug for the upper to be installed after you grease it. Most come with a zerk also. You put the new joint in and tha zerk, put the knuckle back on and before you slide the shafts back in grease the top and then swap the zerk for the plug. There is not enough clearance for a zerk in there with the shafts in place also. real tight.

Clay
    /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

3. rampage

rampage 1/2 ton status

The ones I got from Napa have the zerk fitting it the bottom and a plug in the top that screws in. When you need to grease the joints you need to remove the plug and put the 90 deg fitting in there. If you leave the 90deg fitting in there the axle shaft will shear it off.

4. Greenie

Greenie Registered Member

how often should they be greased?

5. I bought Moog brand balljoints and the upper's had the zerk on top and the bottom was inside, but at an angle that was accessible and wasnt in the way of the shaft. They were not cheap, around $45 each, but worth it.