Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

ballast resistor

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by mrivan, May 17, 2001.

1. mrivan

mrivan 1/2 ton status

I posted this on the truck forum but not much traffic . I put a rebuilt 350 in a 73 3/4 ton 4x4 chevy pickup
    it has the point distributor with seperate condensor . It burnt up a set of points in less than 1500 miles
    should this truck have an external ballast resistor or is it built in to the wireing ?What voltage should I have at the Bat side of the coil when starting and then when running.... Thanks....
    Mrivan...........

Ford people sleep with the lights on........

2. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

The condensor is proabablly bad . That is what the condensor is there for to keep the points from burning up.
    I have never seen an external balast resistor on a GM coil. But someaftermarket high performance coils need them. The balast resistor is there to keep a constant voltage to the coil (usually 8 -9 volts)to keep it from overheating and burning out.
    I think the GM coils from the early 70s were internally balast

3. 1bad82k5

1bad82k5 1/2 ton status

I would recommend losing the points distributor for an HEI. It is nothing to switch them, and HEI is so much less trouble. Just my thoughts.
    eric

Hell, it don't really matter....it's just for my race car.

4. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

Some of the ignition companies also make a Electronic points eliminator kit that goes into your dist.

'71 Blazer CST with alot of rust

5. Michael

Michael 1/2 ton status

The resistor is built into the wiring. If it's a '73 it should still be there. That's it's whole function to keep the points alive. My book shows a 1.35 ohm resistance for a V8. It also shows a yellow wire to the starter solenoid and a purple/black to the fuse box. When starting you get the full 12 volts and when driving current flows thru the resistor wire. I do agree with the earlier post....pick up an HEI and you'll be much better off. Just dont' hook it up with the resistor wire.

Michael[​IMG]
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.jmartin.net/parker/goose.htm>http://www.jmartin.net/parker/goose.htm</A>

6. Gopherkiller

Gopherkiller 1/2 ton status

I think......... if I can remember, there is something whith the starter solinoid. There is one wire that goes to that " other" terminal, that supplies 12 volts for starting. Then, after it starts, it goes back to the reduced voltage to run on. I think, from what I remember, that they have two wires that come to one point,(coil,) one of those goes to the starter. Check the wires on the starter, (there should be two small ones.) I may be FULL OF CRAP, but your talking along time ago! GOOD LUCK GOPHERKILLER