Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Balljoint adjustment/leaky TC

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by newyorkin, May 16, 2001.

1. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Hey,

Just read a post about balljoints, and that reminded me. Can they be "adjusted"? My Haynes manual says they can be (but it also says a couple things that are bass-ackward).

The manual basically says to yank the cotter and crank 'em down. Will this help if they're developing some play? I can't see where the play is on them. I went out and bought 4 new balljoints (was going to do all of them at once, since they alll seem to be getting play), but would like to wait on them in case I find a pair of 14-bolts or D60's soon (that $100 in balljoints can go somehwere else).
    I'm thinking they may be loose, because I'm finding tons of loose bolts all over the place in this truck. Just did the steering box 2x cause the steering balljoints were bolted in and pinned loose. I'm wondering if the same thing is happening with the balljoints, since they all seem to have the same amount of play.

Also, my transfer case seems to constantly have a drip. Very slow, doesn't leave a puddle, but I can wipe it off, and a minute later it's back. All the case bolts are tight, the drain/filler plugs are tight, and the mounting bracket seems tight. There's no immediately visible crack in the case, either. Where else does fluid come through in these?

NP208 and Corporate 10-bolts.
    Thanks for any help in advance if I don't get to post for a couple days!

Ratch
    **Hmmm. Land or Mall? Land or Mall? Let's see. Lotsa SUV's around here... Let's build a mall.**

2. ftn96

ftn96 1/2 ton status

Cant help you on the T case. Depends on where it is leaking from.
    On the ball-joints, yes you can adjust them. But you have to take the cotter key out, then take the upper nut off, then there is an adjustment sleeve down inside there around the stud that is sticking up. You will need a speacial adjustment sleeve socket. Costs about $20 bones at the local parts store. Dont think Autozone sells them though.
    Then you retorque the upper nut to 100 lbs and replace the cotter.

Will work for beer, parts and tools.
    90-350TBI-TCI700-241-33"-10/12 bolt w/4.10's,
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.nashvillek5.freeservers.com>http://www.nashvillek5.freeservers.com</A>

3. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

The sleeve is actually a separate part of it? My regular parts store should have that socket then. I'll try that saturday when I get back into it.
    What about the lower joints? Do they automatically adjust when the top joints are pulled up, or do they have an adjuster too?
    I don't have an Autozone around here, but that is the only parts store around where I'm moving in PA soon... My local place usually has everything under the sun or can get it in less than an hour (but their prices are partly why my wife is ready to exile me with the truck)... There's another K5-er there too..

Thanks for the info!!

Ratch
    **Hmmm. Land or Mall? Land or Mall? Let's see. Lotsa SUV's around here... Let's build a mall.**

4. ftn96

ftn96 1/2 ton status

Nope, There is no adjusting the lower one. The top one usually sees more wear and tear than the bottom one.
    The sleeve is seperate from the steering knuckle.
    See, the stud on the upper ball joint is tappered and gets larger at the bottom right Thus tappered. When you stick the stud up through the steering knuckle then the sleeve goes in from the top and has external threads that screw into the hole were the stud sticks up through the steering knuckle. The sleeve has a gap in it all the way down from the top to the bottom of it, so the more you tighten it down the tapper of the stud pushes it out making it tighter in the hole of the steering knuckle. CAUTION!!!!!
    Downt try to over tighten it. It will only get so tight and those sleeve sockets break. I have broke one trying to take the sleeve out before taking the tappered load of the sleeve.

Will work for beer, parts and tools.
    90-350TBI-TCI700-241-33"-10/12 bolt w/4.10's,
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.nashvillek5.freeservers.com>http://www.nashvillek5.freeservers.com</A>