Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Balljoint change question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by stump_puller, Aug 10, 2004.

1. stump_puller

stump_puller 1/2 ton status

I need to know how hard it is to change the upper and lower balljoints in a 10 bolt front axle. I've read the book on how to do it. It doesn't seem to hard. Just need your opinion on what you've found. Also do you have a shop press em out and in. I don't have a press at the house /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif.

Thanks,
    Don
    /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

2. 79Stomper

79Stomper 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I will let you know after this weekend. I plan to beat on mine out with a hammer and have a shop press them back in.

I have heard that one of them is threaded. Is this true? Inquiring minds would like to know. (note: I can't remember where I heard it from but I am sure I heard it).

3. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

its not that hard, other than pulling the alxe down to the basicly the housing. both joints are pressed in, the bottom one has a snap ring. it might be hard to hammer them out, it takes a bit with my press to break them loose. my buddy uses his ball joint press, works faster than the press.

4. clarkjw24

clarkjw24 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I've changed mine in about 2 hours. Thats pulling it apart and putting it all back together. Just remove the whole steering nuckle and I put it in a vise. Hammered them out and then back in. A press makes less noise /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif I didn't think about using my press untill I was done /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif /forums/images/graemlins/screwy.gif

5. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

You can get ball joint presses at Harbor Freight for like $30. It is a C-clamp style that you can use with a wrench or impact.

Its not a terribly tough job to do but you also need to readjust your adjuster nuts on the upper ball joint when you put the new joints in. This requires a torque wrench and a special socket that will cost you about $20. you also need a ball joint seperating fork but that is like $10 at the local parts house. Depending on how fast you are at taking axles apart it can take from 2 hours. 2 hours is pretty fast though.

Harley

6. berg76

berg76 1/2 ton status

Autozone rents balljoint presses for free. Its a $100 deposit but its well worth it. You'll want to replace the adjusting sleave too(new one comes with the upper ball joint) You might need the special keyed tool if you can get it out with a screwdriver(Snap-on has it for ~10bux). And make sure you torque every thing to spec. I think lower is 50-70flbs, adjusting sleeve 50-70ftlbs, and upper 100ftlbs(do it in this sequence too!). Different manufacturers require different torques, should list in the instructions. Make sure you replace any worn bearings while you have it all torn apart. Throw fresh grease and seals in too! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. JK5

JK5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

It's CAKE!!!

Beat them out..
    Clean the bores..
    Freeze the Ball joints in the frig for a hour..
    Find a pipe that will fit into the outside groove on the Ball joint..
    Then use the pipe to beat the bottom ball-joint in..
    then go for the top one...

When You freeze them...the ball joint will shrink enough...
    to make driving them into the bores...a piece of cake..
    Just be carefull..you drive them in straight.