Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

balljoint safety

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by only 31s, Mar 24, 2005.

1. only 31s

only 31s 1/2 ton status

during a routine insp of the front end i discoverd a small movement in the pass side lower bj {very slight but im a rookie at these} can i wait to repair {i want to save to do both while im in there along w u joints} or is any movement a dangerous sign?i wont use the 4 wheel to be easy on it! can or do these seperate? 90 sub 3susp 3body 35x12.5 any info is appreciated!!!:confused:

2. Fierospeeder

Fierospeeder Banned

any movement is unsafe. How long it will last is unknown. Ball joints can fail tomorrow or 10 years from now.

3. big jimmy 91

big jimmy 91 1/2 ton status

A Little ??

A little movement will more than likely be OK??

I think that it takes alot of play before they will fail.
    Just to be safe change them out as soon as you can :grin:
    BTW I have friends that drive things until they litterally fall appart on the road and it surprized me how loose things have to get before they fail :screwy:

4. ssls6

ssls6 Registered Member

Was the wheel off the ground when you checked it? Did you use a prybar? I've seen some pretty sloppy ball joints hold together eventhough the truck drove all over the road.

5. k5freak44

k5freak44 1/2 ton status

i wheeled on 3 bad bjs and used it as my daily drive for about a year until i replaced them. it just wears ur tires unevenly and gives u a nasty wobble.

its a PITA to replace them, if you are rookie and never done major work on axles befor id start getting quotes around town.