Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Balljoint wont take grease

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by MTBLAZER89, Dec 29, 2005.

1. MTBLAZER89

MTBLAZER89 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Anybody ever had this prob before? It's the upper joint. The little ball in the zerk was pushed up and it was kinda rusty. I tried a different zerk, but still no joy:confused: Anybody have a cutaway of a balljoint? Could there be rust plugging a small passage or something? I am gonna buy a needle tip tomorrow. Is it possible to just squirt grease in there to fill the cup? Any advice??

2. 73k5blazer

73k5blazer Unplug the matrix cable from the back of your head Premium Member

Does the zirk stay in it's hole when you pump grease? I used to have mid-'90's polaris snowmobile that had press-in zirks and they would always pop out while pumping grease. I tapped the holes an replaced the zirks with threaded models.

3. MTBLAZER89

MTBLAZER89 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Yeah the zerk stays in there. I swapped in a known good zerk from another joint that I just greased.:dunno:

4. mxfireman

mxfireman 1/2 ton status

sounds like the ball joint has a bunch of #$%^$# in it.....might need to replace it.

5. Robert D

Robert D 1/2 ton status

Could the bushing on the joint be cracked and blocking the hole? My only experience with balljoints are on a 944, and the bushings seemed to fail pretty regularly.