Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Balljoints: can I do it?

Discussion in '1936-Present Suburban' started by Ddragggon, Feb 27, 2003.

1. Ddragggon

Ddragggon 1/2 ton status

allright, today on a whim, I decided to stop dilly dallying about putting my new brake pads on burbanzilla, and checked my ball joints (grabbed the rotor, and tried to rock it up/down, side to side etc) and have determined that the drivers side are way out of spec ( about 1/4 inch movement)

is this something that someone such as myself will be able to do without too much trouble, using what limited tools I have? ( sockets, hammers, wrenches, screwdrivers, and a really big C-clamp for brakes, and some other stuff I've forgotten) I have a 1973 D44 flatop knuckle, 8 lug D44 up front, and would like to believe it'd be as simple as taking the hubs out*, removing the brake callipers, pulling the rotors*, and axle, and hitting them with a `pickle fork' then pressing new ones in with either a huge C clamp, or something of the sorts...

is that basicaly all there is to it? or am I missing something important here?

thanks,

-Rich

*( the parts I'm kinda shakey on doing... )

2. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

You need a ball joint tool to do it, and a good pair of snap ring pliers. If interested, I will do them for you at a good price. I still have no work.

Dan /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

3. chvyhs

chvyhs 1/2 ton status

I did mine myself, with no idea of what I was doing. I just started taking things apart. It only took about half the day to do it. If you're worried about doing it, having someone that's done it before isn't a bad idea, especially if they have all the tools.

4. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

I've done them without any fancy tools in the past. Just used a hammer and punch to get the old ones out. It isn't the greatest way to do it, but it worked. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif You will need the spanner socket to adjust the preload collar, but other than that a bit of creativity will get the job done. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

5. supersize75

supersize75 1/2 ton status

well since I know Dan (desertdueler) I wouls say have him do it, he specializes in automotive work and will do it right nice guy and fair prices,

Dan the man! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif