Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Balljoints messed up?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 90K5, Oct 30, 2000.

1. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

When I did my lift, I noticed that the balljoints had zerk fittings on the bottom of them, but they were covered with a few years worth of dirt and road grime. The seal was also ruptured. I pumped some grease in them, but now its all just leaked out through the crack in the seal. this just shows how those oil and lube places don't do their job, even though I've never gone to one myself, everyone else who owned the Blazer probably did. How hard is it to replace them, and how much does it cost? I'm also needing to get a steering correction soon. Its a 3" lift. What do I need to get? a steering arm? Thanks in advance.

90K5

2. Wheels

Wheels 1/2 ton status

I just replace the Balljoints in my 79 with a gm 10 bolt front axle. I bought the Federal Mogul lifetime ball joints and paid $25 a piece ($100 for all 4). You'll need the large tuning fork for removing the tie rods and seperating the balljoints. You'll also need a ball joint press. I got one from Harbor freight for about $25. They have better if your into production, but for a limited use this one worked fine. Auto Zone also rents one if need be. The ball joints came with instructions and were pretty straight forward. You have to remove the rotor (hang the caliper from the frame with a coat hanger), then the rotor. The spindle comes off next and out comes the axle (pull right out. Bust the ties rods loose and remove them, get new boots for them cause you'll tear them removing them. Take the steering arm off the drivers side and loosen the ball joint nuts. With the tuning fork, you'll have to alternate between the upper and lower to get them to break free. If you took the nuts off before you had the joints loose, you'll be dancing around the shop after the knuckle landed on your foot. Follow the instructions for removing and replacing the ball joints that came with the package and you shouldn't have any problem. There is an adjusting sleeve that takes a special tool to remove, install, and torque when you do the assembly. Snap on has the tool or you can make on from a 3/4" 6 point deep socket and a grinder. When you get ready to do it and have any question, e-mail me and I'll try to answer them.
    For the steering correction, get a steering arm. You'll have to adjust the drag link to get the steering wheel centered again, real simple.

3. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

Hey thanks for the info Wheels. I jus trealized I messed up and meant to puttie rod ends not ball joints. I don't know what I was thinking about [​IMG]

90K5

4. Wheels

Wheels 1/2 ton status

Then those are real easy. Again get the big fork, loosen the nuts, knock the tierods loose. put on new boots and tighten. In and out about 30 minutes total.