Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

balljoints

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 85_k5, Jun 20, 2005.

1. 85_k5

85_k5 Registered Member

I am in the middle of doing my upper and lower balljoints on my 85 blazer 10bolt front end. I see there is an adjustment sleeve for the upper one. The new ones come with a new sleeve, but I cant seem to get the old ones out. I have the proper socket and I have been trying, but I am scared of damaging the threads on the knuckle. I figure I would soak them down with some good penetrating oil for a few days and see if I can get them out. They are stuck in there real good. So my question is how critical is it to replace those? I read that unless the tierod is loosening up, or there is un unusual wear on the tires or steering is really sloppy you dont need to change it. If I dont touch them wouldnt they stay the same for the new balljoints as in tourqe when I tighten the lower nut and the top castlenut? I figure they should be changed because they give you new ones, they should just thread out shouldnt they? or am I not doing something right?

2. GMCLegacy

GMCLegacy 1/2 ton status

i would recomend trying to replace them. the castle nut helps set the preload on the balljoints.

try using some heat, and/or using a small punch and hammer to get it broke loose.

3. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I had a little problem getting those out to last time I serviced my balljoints even with the right socket. I tried using a ratchet and I couldn't keep enough pressure on the socket from the top to keep it from popping out of the grooves. I ended up having to use my impact wrench on them to get them out.

I would say penetrating oil for sure and heat is a plus if you have it, but the key to me is an impact.

Harley

4. Smitty

Smitty 1/2 ton status

You should change the adjusting sleeve if you want the correct preload. That being said, a lot of people don't change it. I changed mine and it took a lot of penetrating fluid and time. Be very careful when removing the sleeve. It's harder than the threads in the knuckle and will take them out if you're not careful. Good luck.

5. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

I don't see how it is critical that you replace the sleeve, however making sure it is properly adjusted will insure your ball joints last. All it does is set the preload, has nothing to do with how your tires wear and whatnot.

6. 73k5blazer

73k5blazer Unplug the matrix cable from the back of your head Premium Member

I had to use an impact on mine too. THe northern trucks tend to rust those things up in there pretty good. They were soaked for a couple of days before I even tried to break 'em loose.

7. 85_k5

85_k5 Registered Member

Thanks for the replies guys, Im gonna soak them down for a few days and try again. Worst case scenario I guess is the threads on the knuckle come out with the sleeve and my spare frontend then comes into play :D